Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not doubled birth weight

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 28 Replies
My son just turned 6 months the 17th. Today his doctor said he hasnt doubled his birth weight so i need to start giving him more solids or start giving him formula.he LOVES food.he wont eat baby food he wants the real deal.he crawls all day long(if hes not eating hes crawling) he is walking along furnisher already so he is REALLY mobile.i dont want to give him formula:( he is 29 inches and 17 pounds 1 oz(9 pounds 5 oz at birth) what else can i do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
merinasmommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM

this was june 30
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merinasmommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM

July 17 sorry its sideways
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Double birthweight is a guideline. But so is one pound gained per month. By THAT guideline baby is FAT, two pounds heavier than expected. 

No need to give formula. Big need to change docs. I seem to remember you've had problems with doc before?

merinasmommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM
this is the 3rd doctor we have been threw over breastfeeding/vaxing.i live in a small county and the next closest set of doctors is an hour away.

Quoting gdiamante:

Double birthweight is a guideline. But so is one pound gained per month. By THAT guideline baby is FAT, two pounds heavier than expected. 

No need to give formula. Big need to change docs. I seem to remember you've had problems with doc before?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Then smile nod and IGNORE. You don't HAVE to do anything the doc tells you.

I'd personally drive the hour but that's me.

Quoting merinasmommy:

this is the 3rd doctor we have been threw over breastfeeding/vaxing.i live in a small county and the next closest set of doctors is an hour away.

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Keep giving him the solids you are, and make sure you're nursing first. Your'e doing FINE and just know your doc is a blithering idiot.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
The double guideline is loosely based on an average 7 pounder, aiming for around 14 pounds by 6'ish months. Smaller birthweight babies typically gain more, large babies typically less. Can you imagine an 11 pound newborn expected to be 22 pounds at 6 months?! It sounds like you're doing much better than your doctors are giving you credit for.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Just keep doing what you're doing. More solids or is terrible advice for a baby. That's like saying he should have sand to full him up. Breastmilk is the single most nutrient dense thing you could give him.
He's gained more than enough weight, especially considering that he's started crawling and cruising lately. That usually halts weight gain for a while because they start burning so many more calories every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:32 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids Ped likes to see double LOWEST weight by 6 months, not birth weight. So with that said you are fine. Also it makes no sence to me to take away a high calorie food (your bm) and replace it with lower calorie foods (formula and solids). If anything I would try to nurse more and no solids if your concerned.
If double your lo bw by 6 months, does he expect the triple by a year? You would need a back brace to carry him ;)
Johlsh
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM
My sons pedi was like this too.. I breastfed and wanted to delay vaccinations. He constantly tried pushing more food, formula, not co-sleeping. I just thanked him for his opinion and stuck to what I was doing. My son is 20 months and 30 pounds, still breastfeeding at night, still co-sleeping, and still hasn't had any vaccines and is perfectly healthy. Never has been sick even..

Just do what you feel is right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)