Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottle feeding

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 10 Replies
I came back to work Monday. My little guy is 13 weeks, he is a big boy at 2 months he was 15 lbs he also sleeps through the night. He is fed just breastmilk Monday he had 3-3oz bottles while I was gone 7:15-4:15. I nursed him before I left for work. Yesterday he didn't wake up to eat so I pumped. He drank 4-3oz bottles he was getting a bottle about every 2-3 hours which is normally how often he nurses. Does that seem lke he is getting to much or enough? My first I never left her. My second only ate 2-3oz bottles while I was gone and she is tiny.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Try to stretch a three ounce bottle to every 2.5 hours. Remember 1-1.25 Ounces per hour of seperationseparation given in bottles no bigger than 3 Ounces.
SrtsGirl2002
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Dh is home with him and our other 2 kids plus he works from home. Gunner (the baby) just cries if its any less than 3oz. He is making it closer to eating every 3 hours. I will see if dh can get him to do smaller amounts closer together. I better by more bottles I only have 3.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try to stretch a two ounce bottle to every 2.5 hours. Remember 1-1.25 Ounces per hour of seperationseparation given in bottles no bigger than 3 Ounces.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Three 3 oz bottles should be fine.  Nurse when you leave, 3 oz at 9 or 9:30, 3 oz at 12 or 12:30, 3 oz at 2:30 or 3:00, then nothing more until you get home (knowing that you will nurse when you get home).  I'm watching a little guy this week whose mom has the same work schedule as yours and that's what we're doing.  We actually only used 2 oz at 3:00 yesterday and she didn't get here until 5 pm and he was fine.  He always fusses for more when the bottle is empty, but I switch out the bottle for a paci and he's fine with paci and snuggles.

Quoting SrtsGirl2002:

Dh is home with him and our other 2 kids plus he works from home. Gunner (the baby) just cries if its any less than 3oz. He is making it closer to eating every 3 hours. I will see if dh can get him to do smaller amounts closer together. I better by more bottles I only have 3.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try to stretch a two ounce bottle to every 2.5 hours. Remember 1-1.25 Ounces per hour of seperationseparation given in bottles no bigger than 3 Ounces.

SrtsGirl2002
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
The problem is he sleeps until 9 and I haven't been able to nurse him before work unless I wake him and I don't like to mess w his sleep because he doesn't nap well. I wish he would take a pack but he won't I tried.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Three 3 oz bottles should be fine.  Nurse when you leave, 3 oz at 9 or 9:30, 3 oz at 12 or 12:30, 3 oz at 2:30 or 3:00, then nothing more until you get home (knowing that you will nurse when you get home).  I'm watching a little guy this week whose mom has the same work schedule as yours and that's what we're doing.  We actually only used 2 oz at 3:00 yesterday and she didn't get here until 5 pm and he was fine.  He always fusses for more when the bottle is empty, but I switch out the bottle for a paci and he's fine with paci and snuggles.

Quoting SrtsGirl2002:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Sleeping till 9 makes that even easier.... 3 oz when he gets up, 3 oz at 12, 3 oz at 3:00.  Does going for a walk help if he's fussy?  My boys never took pacis either, so if I was gone for something, my dh just walked them as a distraction (my youngest wouldn't take a bottle, either).

Quoting SrtsGirl2002:

The problem is he sleeps until 9 and I haven't been able to nurse him before work unless I wake him and I don't like to mess w his sleep because he doesn't nap well. I wish he would take a pack but he won't I tried.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting SrtsGirl2002:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

JocelynsMama1
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I would make him wake up and nurse before you leave....you need to nurse as much as possile or your at risk for slowing down your milk production...pumping isnt as effective as nursing is

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Gone nine hours, he should have gotten 9- 11.25 ounces. 

You were PERFECT. No worries. Size doesn't matter. He wil forever get 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Oops. I need to stop CMing in the mornings. I meant three ounces every two and a half hours.

Quoting SrtsGirl2002:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

SrtsGirl2002
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Nothing makes him happy but milk. I think I am going to need to wake him before work otherwise the last time he nurses is 10/10:30 pm. From the time I get home until he is asleep he nurses like every hour. I am pumping 20+ ounces while I am gone and I have a freezer stash on 200+ ounces so I hope to be able yo continue until 1.glad to know we are on track.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM
This all sounds perfect 2-3 oz bottles are exactly the right size for a BF baby no matter the age, stick with slow flow nipples!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)