• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A friend seems to have postpartum depression. How can I help her?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone ever dealt with this?  Can someone offer up some advice to help my friend?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bloomsr
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Try talking with her. Tell her that you are concerned and site specific instances that have you worried. Chances are, she will start crying and open up to you. Try to convince her to call her dr for help.
Good luck! It is awesome that you care enough to help her out!!
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

You can't really help her. She needs to go talk to her Dr. ASAP.  I had it with DD. I talked to my Dr & went on Zoloft for a year. When I got pregnant with DS it scared me to think I might feel like that again. Its not a place I ever want to be in my life again. So I talked verry openly about my feelings with my midwife & we both decided it would be best to go back on it as a prevention. So the day I had DS I went back on it. I stayed on Zoloft for around 8 mos this time. And its safe to take while breastfeeding, if she is. Exercise also helps, so does vitamin B. Tell her she shouldn't feel ashamed or scared to go talk to someone. Its her health & families happiness that's at stake.

LLisaA
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Just talk to her, let her know that "baby blues" are normal and sometimes the hormones make it really bad, bad enough to need a doctor's help.  She's probably feeling ashamed and embarassed, this is supposed to be the happiest time of her life, so having someone tell her it's not her fault that she's unhappy and that a lot of women go through it might be the push she needs to get to her doctor and get on some medication to help her bridge past those pregnancy hormones.  Zoloft is safe to take, I took it the whole while I was pregnant and was on it years before I even conceived so it was in my system.  My child is healthy, one of the healthiest kids I know!

PPD is really serious, three years ago a friend of a friend suffocated her infant.  Outwardly everyone said she was fine, maybe had a little baby blues, but she would never harm her child.  Until she did, and now she has to live with that for the rest of her life.   I'm not saying your friend is that bad or she would do this, but just saying this because it's very serious and she needs to know that there is NO SHAME in needing a little help.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Talk to her, tell her there is NOTHING to be ashamed of and to see her doctor. It's bad if she does NOT see a doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)