• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here, and really neeing advice!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi ladies. I'm hoping you can help me.

A little back story on my experiences breastfeeding. I was able to nurse my first. We ended up giving her supplements to because she just never seemed full. O was young and didn't know much about breastfeeding. And she weaned herself and started refusing to breastfeed around 4 months. And my supply was really low. my next two, I couldn't nurse at all. I had nothing. No colostrum, nothing. With my second I had no suupport, so I just gave up. With my third, my husband was very helpful and supportive. But there was nothing. I pumped. I nursed. I did everything, and didn't get a drop.

I'm not sure if it's my thyroid levels or what is causing me not to be able to breastfeed.

So here I am, due with #4 in 6 days and panic has set in. What can I do? I want to try that Milky supplement but it's so expensive. I might do it anyway if it will help. I'm going to see the lactation consultant at my hospital again and hopefully get some help there..

Any advice is greatly appreciated
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM
It's extraordinarily rare to make "no milk at all." Did the LC's make any guesses? Did you have your thyroid tested? Any history of PCOS? Did your doctor try Reglan or domperidone? We're you on any birth control or other prescriptions at all? If you truly have a pathological problem, herbal supplements aren't going to help. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself but a neighbor of mine had NO milk, not even a drop; it was attributed to some experimental treatments she had had for leukemia when she was a teen.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
How were you determining that you had no colostrum or milk? Was baby never peeing or pooping? Pump output means NOTHING, especially at birth.
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM
This. And your first likely had nipple confusion/flow preference. Normally once nursing is established that will not happen if mom is never around when baby gets a bottle after six-ish weeks.

Quoting Junebaby18:

How were you determining that you had no colostrum or milk? Was baby never peeing or pooping? Pump output means NOTHING, especially at birth.

livingrlovesong
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Yes I had my thyroid tested. I have hyperthyoirdism and graves disease. No PCOS or birth control or any of that. When strictly breastfeeding my last there was no output unless I gave him formula. I tried for 3 weeks to pump and I would get maybe a drop here and therw. But for the most part, no I didn't have anything at all

Quoting mostlymaydays:

It's extraordinarily rare to make "no milk at all." Did the LC's make any guesses? Did you have your thyroid tested? Any history of PCOS? Did your doctor try Reglan or domperidone? We're you on any birth control or other prescriptions at all? If you truly have a pathological problem, herbal supplements aren't going to help. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself but a neighbor of mine had NO milk, not even a drop; it was attributed to some experimental treatments she had had for leukemia when she was a teen.
livingrlovesong
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I pumped for 3 weeks and there was nothing. Maybe a drop here or there. And when just breastfeeding, no there wasn't any output

Quoting Junebaby18:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Are you being treated? I know in the past couple weeks someone had a post about breastfeeding with Graves Disease and a pretty significant group of women checked in that they had it, too.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yes I had my thyroid tested. I have hyperthyoirdism and graves disease. No PCOS or birth control or any of that. When strictly breastfeeding my last there was no output unless I gave him formula. I tried for 3 weeks to pump and I would get maybe a drop here and therw. But for the most part, no I didn't have anything at all

Quoting mostlymaydays:

livingrlovesong
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Yes. I take medication for it and I had a procedure last summer to help kill it. It didn't work completely but my levels did go down

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Are you being treated? I know in the past couple weeks someone had a post about breastfeeding with Graves Disease and a pretty significant group of women checked in that they had it, too.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)