Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Biting

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 20 Replies
Lexis two bottom teeth just recently came in and she's been biting me. Hard. And it hurts. I tell her no in a firm voice and remove her. A few times I've even yelled out in pain at a sudden bite and made her cry :( she's not stopping so far and it's not just at the end of a session where she may be done or bored. I don't know how to get her to stop. She's even left teeth marks. Help?!
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM

When she bites, put her down in a safe place where sheis contained and can't crawl or toddle off to do her own thing. High chairs are great for this. Five minute break, try again. Repeat as needed. And no solids till she's nursed nicely.

carranzasfaith
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
This is why I'm scared of serenity getting teeth, my son got his first at 4 months and no matter what I did would not stop bitting so I gave up nursing. I'm really hoping to not have that problem this time. I hope you can get your lo to stop. :)
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Don't react other than firmly saying no and unlatching. Do not yell, scream, smother into your breast or flick the baby. If you do, baby may think its a game or not want to bf again. Relatch if baby wants to. If baby bites again, do above and sit baby on floor for 1-5 minutes. Relatch. Bite again, repeat, put on floor and walk away. Baby will learn, hopefully quickly, that biting equals no milk.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I didn't mean to yell. She just startled me and it hurt really bad. That's what I usually do, is unlatch her and end the session for a few minutes.
Smothering her sounds awful. My MiL keeps telling me to flick her face. I'm like UM no way.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Don't react other than firmly saying no and unlatching. Do not yell, scream, smother into your breast or flick the baby. If you do, baby may think its a game or not want to bf again. Relatch if baby wants to. If baby bites again, do above and sit baby on floor for 1-5 minutes. Relatch. Bite again, repeat, put on floor and walk away. Baby will learn, hopefully quickly, that biting equals no milk.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
We haven't started solids yet.
Maybe I can use them for bribery ;) jk

Quoting gdiamante:

When she bites, put her down in a safe place where sheis contained and can't crawl or toddle off to do her own thing. High chairs are great for this. Five minute break, try again. Repeat as needed. And no solids till she's nursed nicely.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Maybe her mouth still hurts from the new teeth and biting relieves the pain. Have you tried teething remedies before nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:09 AM
The smothering works when you have a kid that is doing it spitefully. It's advice for moms with much older nurslings for when they can't break the latch. My three year old isn't nursing, but if she were to bite me, I know I would be physically incapable of opening her mouth against her will without pinching her nose or something. She's done it, and I had to yell at her.
For a baby, just be consistent. If you keep scolding her and you continue to stop nursing, she will stop. As time went on I made the time I didn't nurse for longer. It started out at one minute, and now if he bites twice the nursing session is over. He's 1 1/2 now, and bites about once every two months unless he gets started or tickled in his sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:47 AM
My mom friend has done the flick on the side of the cheek and said it works but her baby was older when she did that......
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
She never really teethed. She wears and amber bracelet and never seems to be in pain because of her mouth

Quoting aehanrahan:

Maybe her mouth still hurts from the new teeth and biting relieves the pain. Have you tried teething remedies before nursing?

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Aw I see that makes sense. Ouch! I imagine a full mouth of teeth biting hurts really bad! Ill keep trying the firm No and postponing the session.

Quoting polkaspots:

The smothering works when you have a kid that is doing it spitefully. It's advice for moms with much older nurslings for when they can't break the latch. My three year old isn't nursing, but if she were to bite me, I know I would be physically incapable of opening her mouth against her will without pinching her nose or something. She's done it, and I had to yell at her.

For a baby, just be consistent. If you keep scolding her and you continue to stop nursing, she will stop. As time went on I made the time I didn't nurse for longer. It started out at one minute, and now if he bites twice the nursing session is over. He's 1 1/2 now, and bites about once every two months unless he gets started or tickled in his sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)