Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Lexis two bottom teeth just recently came in and she's been biting me. Hard. And it hurts. I tell her no in a firm voice and remove her. A few times I've even yelled out in pain at a sudden bite and made her cry :( she's not stopping so far and it's not just at the end of a session where she may be done or bored. I don't know how to get her to stop. She's even left teeth marks. Help?!
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM
It was terrible, she but my shoulder one day during the week ds started biting. She had been listening to me constantly tell him not to bite and I guess it seemed like a fun thing to do. Saying no and stopping is what worked for me, and it is the most effective way I've heard of. People suggested biting back, but I don't think I could do that consistently with a baby.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Aw I see that makes sense. Ouch! I imagine a full mouth of teeth biting hurts really bad! Ill keep trying the firm No and postponing the session.

Quoting polkaspots:

The smothering works when you have a kid that is doing it spitefully. It's advice for moms with much older nurslings for when they can't break the latch. My three year old isn't nursing, but if she were to bite me, I know I would be physically incapable of opening her mouth against her will without pinching her nose or something. She's done it, and I had to yell at her.

For a baby, just be consistent. If you keep scolding her and you continue to stop nursing, she will stop. As time went on I made the time I didn't nurse for longer. It started out at one minute, and now if he bites twice the nursing session is over. He's 1 1/2 now, and bites about once every two months unless he gets started or tickled in his sleep.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Ouch :( my 2 year went through a weird phase where she would walk by and bite your toe If your feet were up on the coffee table. Lol
Yeah Lexi is only 6m old. I don't think she would understand if I bit her back. My mil says to flick her face but that seems mean as well.

Quoting polkaspots:

It was terrible, she but my shoulder one day during the week ds started biting. She had been listening to me constantly tell him not to bite and I guess it seemed like a fun thing to do. Saying no and stopping is what worked for me, and it is the most effective way I've heard of. People suggested biting back, but I don't think I could do that consistently with a baby.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Aw I see that makes sense. Ouch! I imagine a full mouth of teeth biting hurts really bad! Ill keep trying the firm No and postponing the session.

Quoting polkaspots:

The smothering works when you have a kid that is doing it spitefully. It's advice for moms with much older nurslings for when they can't break the latch. My three year old isn't nursing, but if she were to bite me, I know I would be physically incapable of opening her mouth against her will without pinching her nose or something. She's done it, and I had to yell at her.

For a baby, just be consistent. If you keep scolding her and you continue to stop nursing, she will stop. As time went on I made the time I didn't nurse for longer. It started out at one minute, and now if he bites twice the nursing session is over. He's 1 1/2 now, and bites about once every two months unless he gets started or tickled in his sleep.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
That's funny. Fortunately mine never did that, it would really gross me out.
Flicking the face makes them jump, which can cause them to bite accidentally.
I don't think I could bite hard enough to cause discomfort, he probably would have taken it as a joke.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Ouch :( my 2 year went through a weird phase where she would walk by and bite your toe If your feet were up on the coffee table. Lol

Yeah Lexi is only 6m old. I don't think she would understand if I bit her back. My mil says to flick her face but that seems mean as well.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM
It did gross me out lol. Feet are dirty lol. To dirty to be put in your mouth anyways.
Yeah she prob would think it was funny. I nibble her fingers and "bite" her belly and she thinks its hilarious.

Quoting polkaspots:

That's funny. Fortunately mine never did that, it would really gross me out.

Flicking the face makes them jump, which can cause them to bite accidentally.

I don't think I could bite hard enough to cause discomfort, he probably would have taken it as a joke.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting polkaspots:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Try taking her off without reacting or saying anything and just put her down. Some babies enjoy getting a reaction and keep biting to see it.
Remember that she can't bite while actively nursing, so watch her closely for any change in suck and try to take her off before she gets the chance to bite.
She might still be getting a little relief with the biting even with the amber. Try giving her something else to gnaw on when she's not nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tbursac777
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM

i just went through this last month! he drew blood an dmade me scab up! so for one wohle day, i refused to nurse him. i gave him bottles and didn't let him have the breast.

then the next day when we nursed, i popped him off when i coudl tell he was done, so he wouldn't hurt me.

it'll pass. stock up on the lanolin!

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I wish Lexi would take a bottle lol. She straight refuses! She hates it. I can't go anywhere because of it. That's a whole other subject tho haha. I need like numbing gel after she bites lol

Quoting tbursac777:

i just went through this last month! he drew blood an dmade me scab up! so for one wohle day, i refused to nurse him. i gave him bottles and didn't let him have the breast.

then the next day when we nursed, i popped him off when i coudl tell he was done, so he wouldn't hurt me.

tbursac777
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM

oh, i forgot to mention... he hates the bottle!!! he won't take it.. but i didn't give him an other choice bc he kept biting me!

Quoting nocalmegan:e

I wish Lexi would take a bottle lol. She straight refuses! She hates it. I can't go anywhere because of it. That's a whole other subject tho haha. I need like numbing gel after she bites lol

Quoting tbursac777:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I would NOT suggest forcing a day of bottles. It could cause a nursing strike or bottle preference.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting tbursac777:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
She wouldn't even take a bottle if I wanted :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

I would NOT suggest forcing a day of bottles. It could cause a nursing strike or bottle preference.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting tbursac777:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)