Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 hour old wont wake to nurse-help pls

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 15 Replies
my 9 HOUR old wont wake up for shit to nurse.. she nursed good 3 times already, and now its going on 4 hours and can' get her to wake to nurse... (she is just sleeping so negative thoughts please!)
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM
4 moms liked this
Put her skin to skin. Birth is tiring for both mom and baby. Most babies will nurse vigorously in the first few hours of life and then get sleepy for the next 12-24. Keep her skin to skin on your chest so that when she's ready to nurse, she's right there... the skin to skin will also increase her demand. I'd let her go another 2 hours before you really push her to nurse but then do get a little mean with a cool washcloth if she's still sleepy. 1 diaper per day of life tells you that she's getting enough.
SadiasMomma
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Strip her naked and use a damp wash cloth to wake her. Also a little massage. Don't worry too much, she's probably drowsy from being birthed. Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kss12
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was in the hospital my baby loved to sleep.. The nurses had to come and wake ME up to wake my son up. They had me take his clothes off. I had to tickle his face to keep him awake, and we put a cool sheet on his back to wake him. The next morning I told my delivery nurse about being woken up every 2 hours and she said that is ridiculous, the baby will wake when they are hungry just like we do. Don't worry! It's totally normal! She'll wake when she's hungry! Congratulations!!!!
Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

don't fret! 
My first nursed like a champ during the day (was born at 9:30 am) fell asleep around 8pm. At 3 am a nurse brought him into me all in a tizzy that his chart said...... I did everything, unswaddled, changed diaper, skin to skin, and he wouldn't wake up.
Come 7am he was up screaming his fool head off, he ate great, and slept through the night from then on. 

Andy15
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Thanks
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Um, go ask the hospital/birthing center staff? Ask your doula? Your midwife? A nurse? Someone with medical training is surely with you.. She needs to eat.

rbailey2414
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I say it is ok and to let baby sleep! Baby will wake when hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3MusketeerMama
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are on pain meds that makes them sleepy too. Change her diaper, it may help rouse her enough to eat.

JamieBue38
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this

ahhh, I remember those days, when I couldn't get her to wake up. Now, I can't get her to sleep! Hospitals and Doctors drill you that you need to feed your baby every 2-3 hours or somethings wrong! But don't worry, your baby will know when they're hungry :) relax, s/he's giving you time to rest :)

Chelsey191
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Meh. Ds never ate every 4 hours round the clock as a newborn. I let him tell me when he was hungry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)