Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My bm tastes funny

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have some bm frozen and I've(mostly Dh) tried giving it to our 6 month old. Dh has tasted it and said it tasted weird. The baby nurses just fine from me but just won't take it after it's frozen. What can i do to help it not be like that?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM
That's high lipase content. After pumping, scalding the milk before you freeze it to take care of that. There is probably a link or post in the Resources sticky that addresses this, and maybe something on kellymom.com, too.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

jplumb
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Wouldn't it take all the nutrients out? How long do you do that? Will all the milk in my freezer need to be thrown out?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
You just bring it barely to bubbles around the edges, then cool and freeze. It won't destroy all the nutrients. What you have already frozen could be used for cooking, or donated to a mom whose baby doesn't my.d the taste.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Hmmmm interesting info!
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I had that same problem with my milk, it tasted metallic after freezing. I just quit freezing it and never got a freezer stock going.....just fed her fresh from fridge or from me. Wish I'd known about the scalding thing! If it happens this timeknow what to do, thx
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Does it taste soapy or just weird? A soapy taste/smell indicates high lipase, which can be remedied by scalding as mentioned above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christababy
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Yes it will, but it will still be better for baby than formula.  I found out my milk was lipase affected too.  I didn't want to waste it, so I ended up donating it to mamas on Human Milk for Human Babies on FB.  There should be one in your local area.  Just be sure to disclose that the milk is lipase affected.  There are some babies that dont mind the taste, or some babies that are still on feeding tubes.  

Quoting jplumb:

Wouldn't it take all the nutrients out? How long do you do that? Will all the milk in my freezer need to be thrown out?

"There are two kinds of people in this world, and I dont like them." - Grumpy Cat

jplumb
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM
When Dh tried it, I asked him if it was soapy and he said yes. I don't have a lot in the freezer, maybe 6 bags.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Does it taste soapy or just weird? A soapy taste/smell indicates high lipase, which can be remedied by scalding as mentioned above.
jplumb
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I've never heard of them. I will look them up. Thanks!

Quoting christababy:

Yes it will, but it will still be better for baby than formula.  I found out my milk was lipase affected too.  I didn't want to waste it, so I ended up donating it to mamas on Human Milk for Human Babies on FB.  There should be one in your local area.  Just be sure to disclose that the milk is lipase affected.  There are some babies that dont mind the taste, or some babies that are still on feeding tubes.  

Quoting jplumb:

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Then it is high lipase. As someone else said, you can use the milk for cooking or donate it to a baby that doesn't mind the lipase taste. Six bags isn't much to donate.

Quoting jplumb:

When Dh tried it, I asked him if it was soapy and he said yes. I don't have a lot in the freezer, maybe 6 bags.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)