Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Broccoli, Peppers and Onions

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is two and still breastfeeding. If I eat broccoli he is an absolute wreck. I just put this together togetherafter trying to figure out the cause. Why is his gas still so painful for him. He was tossing and turning all night! What foods are easiest on toddler's tummies without constipating him? We are going on vacation next week and I'd like him to remain as happy as possible.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you sure it isn't something he ate? It's odd that this far down the road something you eat would still affect him, unless it were dairy or wheat. Is he eating a lot of cheese or bananas, or cereal? All of those can ne constipating.
poosey08
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

He ate some raw carrots, not many...just a few pieces. I'm looking back over the summer and the 3 times I've eaten chicken and broccoli, he is super gassy and irritable for 2 days. I also had green peppers in my salad. I thought this was a myth about that stuff passing thru breastmilk and dairy was the usual culprit.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Are you sure it isn't something he ate? It's odd that this far down the road something you eat would still affect him, unless it were dairy or wheat. Is he eating a lot of cheese or bananas, or cereal? All of those can ne constipating.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Did he eat those as well?  By chicken and broccoli do you mean chinese takeout style?  If so, it might be the soy.

Quoting poosey08:

He ate some raw carrots, not many...just a few pieces. I'm looking back over the summer and the 3 times I've eaten chicken and broccoli, he is super gassy and irritable for 2 days. I also had green peppers in my salad. I thought this was a myth about that stuff passing thru breastmilk and dairy was the usual culprit.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

poosey08
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

No, it was chicken, broccoli and cheese soup, and a bag of frozen broccoli in the crockpot. He only ate the chicken and rice...then a few pieces of carrots and cucumbers. I ate the broccoli and peppers and have noticed that each he is miserable so it must have passed thru my milk right?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Did he eat those as well?  By chicken and broccoli do you mean chinese takeout style?  If so, it might be the soy.

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
There's so many foods that toddlers eat that it's unlikely to be something in your milk unless he's allergic to it.

What happens when he eats those things?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Its rare but its possible he has an allergy to it

poosey08
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Doesn't sleep well , seems to have painful gas. Is overall cranky right before gas comes out.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

There's so many foods that toddlers eat that it's unlikely to be something in your milk unless he's allergic to it.

What happens when he eats those things?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

If it's an allergy to broccoli, he would have likely gotten more broccoli from the food cooked in the same pot with it than he would have from your milk.  Peppers give me gas like that... still working on finding a solution.  Did he have anything that was cooked with the peppers or did you have broccoli (or cabbage, cauliflower, or kale... they're all in the same family) that he might have had that day?

Quoting poosey08:

No, it was chicken, broccoli and cheese soup, and a bag of frozen broccoli in the crockpot. He only ate the chicken and rice...then a few pieces of carrots and cucumbers. I ate the broccoli and peppers and have noticed that each he is miserable so it must have passed thru my milk right?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

poosey08
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM

My husband said he let him try a few peppers so maybe he just can't handle them yet. 

Quoting K8wizzo:

If it's an allergy to broccoli, he would have likely gotten more broccoli from the food cooked in the same pot with it than he would have from your milk.  Peppers give me gas like that... still working on finding a solution.  Did he have anything that was cooked with the peppers or did you have broccoli (or cabbage, cauliflower, or kale... they're all in the same family) that he might have had that day?

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

meg0620
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Not sure. My son isn't sensitive to anything lol. Here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN