Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk Production?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is there a way to know if you'll produce milk (before birth) so you're able to breastfeed once baby is born?

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You'll produce colostrum which is the first milk when baby's born.  Your actual milk won't come in until a couple days later and for the first couple days of life, the colostrum is all baby needs.  So don't worry if your milk isn't in right away because it won't be.  Baby will get everything needed from the colostrum :)

As far as knowing if you'll produce milk before birth, I'm not sure.  Most women are able to breastfeed though many choose not to.  I've heard that it's actually not as common as many people think to not be able to breastfeed at all but don't quote me on that because I havent' actually done the research myself to know for sure.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Delivery of baby and placenta afterward triggers a hormone cascade that signals milk production. You may or may not leak a little colostrum before birth. Red flags before birth that might mean a problem? Little or no change in breast size during pregnancy and previous breast reduction surgery where milk ducts might have been cut. Both of these things are quite rare.

Best thing is to nurse early and often after birth. Read posts here and on kellymom.com to gather information. Well-educated is well armed!
Shae1984
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I was curious because most women said they experience leakage months before birth but I also know there are some women that are unable to produce colostrum or milk after delivering so I was looking for signs during pregnancy that will determine if you'll produce or not.

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Your human, so the likelyhood that you will have milk (& enough of it) is like 99%.

Most women who think they don't have enough milk actually do have enough or aren't offering milk enough or the baby has an issue. Almost all issues can be solved.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shae1984:

Thanks for the response. I was curious because most women said they experience leakage months before birth but I also know there are some women that are unable to produce colostrum or milk after delivering so I was looking for signs during pregnancy that will determine if you'll produce or not.

The issue they generally have is not with producing but with information. 99% of women produce milk just fine, they just don't have the proper information to tell that baby is getting enough. Leaking during pregnancy means nothing. Some women do and some don't. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. Just nurse and count diapers. Newborns have tiny tummies and only need very little milk so whatever you produce will be fine.
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Most women can produce milk.  It's extremely rare that they don't.  Women produce colostrum first which is all baby needs until milk comes in.  Read this please because Dr. Jack Newman IBCLC answers so many questions that you might have:  http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=27%3Amyths-of-breastfeeding&Itemid=17

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

There aer tons of women who think they dont produce or dont produce enough, usually its misconceptions nd even lies told by dooctors.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I didn't leak for either of my three pregnancies, but I had oversupply (too much milk) for all of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN