Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding after surgery

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have to have surgery next week and am currently still breastfeeding my 12 month old son. My question is, what if any, pain meds are safe? I know from past experience that this is going to be a very painful surgery but don't want to put my son at risk. Also, I don't need to pump and dump after anesthesia do I? One more question, can pain effect my supply? Thanks in advance!!
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Pain meds are safe. No need to pump and dump--as soon as you can hold your baby, you can nurse. Pain will not affect your supply. You will likely be given meds similar to what a mom would have after a c-section, which will not be harmful. What will affect your supply is hydration, but I imagine you.will have IV fluids, so just be sure to start drinking as soon as you are able. You will probably need some help from whoever is with you getting the baby positioned. LactMed.and the Infant Risk Hotline will have any additional information you need on meds. Links to those can be found in the resources sticky. There is also an excellent article on kellymom.com about breastfeeding and surgery.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Mushermaggie covered it. ZERO worries for baby here.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Yes, all that! ^^^ FYI www.infantrisk.com or call:

The InfantRisk Center (headed by Dr. Thomas Hale in the US) has a phone helpline (1-806-352-2519) and additional information on medication use during pregnancy and breastfeeding. They also have smartphone apps available.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Pain meds are safe. No need to pump and dump--as soon as you can hold your baby, you can nurse. Pain will not affect your supply. You will likely be given meds similar to what a mom would have after a c-section, which will not be harmful. What will affect your supply is hydration, but I imagine you.will have IV fluids, so just be sure to start drinking as soon as you are able. You will probably need some help from whoever is with you getting the baby positioned. LactMed.and the Infant Risk Hotline will have any additional information you need on meds. Links to those can be found in the resources sticky. There is also an excellent article on kellymom.com about breastfeeding and surgery.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I agree with everyone else! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busterfoxy
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Thank you all very much!! I will be sure to check out kellymom and lactmed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN