Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Still not sleeping well :'(

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM
  • 20 Replies
Derek slept great a newborn, I mean as far as newborns go. Most nights he slept around 5 hours straight, then he would nurse and go straight back to sleep. There might have been an occasional night (like during a growth spurt) that he woke up more. But luckily we co slept and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Now... Ugh

He is maybe sleeping 2-3 hours straight. And he doesn't just nurse back to sleep he has to be rocked, which requires me to get in and out of bed 50 bajillion times.
He also refuses to sleep with dh and I. (He will take naps with just me during the day though) He squirms and just can't get comfy with us anymore.
Now it seems that a good nights sleep is rare and bad nights are becoming the norm. For the last month he's been like this (it started at the end of June before he got his first two teeth). Since the end of June he has maybe slept good 5 times.

I'm starting to loose my mind. Taking care of 3 wild and crazy boys on 3 hours (if I'm lucky) of sleep is really starting to become a challenge.

At first I was very optimistic. I would tell myself that it was just a stage and things will go back to normal. But it seems to be never ending....
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Been there and done that. I remember coming here and asking the other AP moms what they would do. But ultimately I couldn't do anything except CIO which I didn't want to do. So we just kep going as we were going. I slept when dh got home. in bed by 9 every night. Now he's grown out of it and doesn't even need me to nurse him back down anymore at night (even though I still do because if he gets to a full blown cry we have to go to the rocking chair). My suggestion would be to side car his crib. That way he has his own space and doesn't feel cramped but you can still just reach over and nurse him before he starts waking up. And in the early teething stages I had to give teething tablets right before bed or he would be up every hour. GL momma!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I've tried the teething tablets right before bed, and it helped some but not a lot. I even give another dose when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

The thing is when he wakes in the middle of the night he doesn't want to nurse. He doesn't want me to lay down with him.

He's only happy if I'm standing with him or rocking him, so I don't know if sidecaring the crib would help. I also don't think dh would agree to that.

The crib is just two steps away from our bed so its not a huge deal to get up and get him since I have to get up to rock him anyways.

How long did it take your Lo to outgrow it?

My oldest DS start school next week. Hopefully I can start napping while y younger two nap during the day.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Been there and done that. I remember coming here and asking the other AP moms what they would do. But ultimately I couldn't do anything except CIO which I didn't want to do. So we just kep going as we were going. I slept when dh got home. in bed by 9 every night. Now he's grown out of it and doesn't even need me to nurse him back down anymore at night (even though I still do because if he gets to a full blown cry we have to go to the rocking chair). My suggestion would be to side car his crib. That way he has his own space and doesn't feel cramped but you can still just reach over and nurse him before he starts waking up. And in the early teething stages I had to give teething tablets right before bed or he would be up every hour. GL momma!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
You really want to know lol? He outgrew it around 11 months.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I've tried the teething tablets right before bed, and it helped some but not a lot. I even give another dose when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

The thing is when he wakes in the middle of the night he doesn't want to nurse. He doesn't want me to lay down with him.

He's only happy if I'm standing with him or rocking him, so I don't know if sidecaring the crib would help. I also don't think dh would agree to that.

The crib is just two steps away from our bed so its not a huge deal to get up and get him since I have to get up to rock him anyways.

My oldest DS start school next week. Hopefully I can start napping while y younger two nap during the day.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I was afraid you were going to say that

:'(
😭

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You really want to know lol? He outgrew it around 11 months.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It's forever a stage. You're paying the piper for the great sleep earlier. **smile** And it will change again. And again. And again.

I turn 50 next month and I wake at night every single night.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM
How old is he?
I agree with Gina. Sleeping patterns change frequently for a variety of reasons. Have you read the nurshable blog? Sarah has some great insights about different stages and even started a Facebook group based on her wait it out blog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
He is 6 months. I haven't read that blog, but I would be interested in getting a link to it

Quoting aehanrahan:

How old is he?

I agree with Gina. Sleeping patterns change frequently for a variety of reasons. Have you read the nurshable blog? Sarah has some great insights about different stages and even started a Facebook group based on her wait it out blog.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yeah, that!!!  :D  I had one like that.  Slept 6-8 hours at night as a newborn.  Then at 6 months - ugh!!!  Worse then a newborn.  I had to keep reminding myself I got sleep in the beginning (sort of - if you don't count being up with the older ones).

Get to bed early!!!  You MUST!  I need to do that.  Exhaustion is the norm around here (6 kids ages 2 weeks to 7 1/2 years).  The interrupted sleep is what is so rough.  But at least by going to bed earlier I get a little more sleep in - even if it isn't deep.

Quoting gdiamante:

It's forever a stage. You're paying the piper for the great sleep earlier. **smile** And it will change again. And again. And again.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Well last night was MUCH better. We all went to sleep at 9:30. Ds fell asleep snuggled between Dh and I. This was the first time in weeks that ds seemed comfortable in our bed. Every time he woke up last night he nursed right back to sleep!

I think I might try side caring the crib

Quoting micheledo:

Yeah, that!!!  :D  I had one like that.  Slept 6-8 hours at night as a newborn.  Then at 6 months - ugh!!!  Worse then a newborn.  I had to keep reminding myself I got sleep in the beginning (sort of - if you don't count being up with the older ones).

Get to bed early!!!  You MUST!  I need to do that.  Exhaustion is the norm around here (6 kids ages 2 weeks to 7 1/2 years).  The interrupted sleep is what is so rough.  But at least by going to bed earlier I get a little more sleep in - even if it isn't deep.

Quoting gdiamante:

KJH618
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM

funny you should post this and be complaining that you aren't getting enough sleep bc of your nursing/sleeping arrangements with baby.  Aren't you the one who told me I was wrong for my suggestions and advice on how I dealt with this very same issue.  I think your advice was feed the baby when the baby wants to eat....basically do whatever the baby wants you to do.  I truly do feel really sorry for you because I too was in that same position.  I did whatever my baby needed for about a month and was getting less sleep than what you are describing.  I was losing my temper with my older children and took all my anger out on my husband when he got home because I was so sleep deprived.  At that point I finally made the best decision for me and my family by deciding to sleep train my baby by following the baby wise method.  It worked for us and is research based so I apologize if you or anyone else on this site doesn't approve of it.  But speaking from someone who followed the steps we are a much happier, well rested family because of sleep training.  All of our kids sleep in their own beds the entire night. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)