Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Starting to freak out, abscessed tooth...

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 32 Replies

Last Saturday I woke up to a swollen face due to an abcessed tooth. It's a tooth that just needs to be pulled. I called my dentist and they had finished taking walk-ins for the day and because I am breastfeeding they can't pescribe me anything. I had to call the on-call doctor to get some antibiotics. 

Well I've been on this penicillin for almost a full week now and although the swelling is gone in my face I still feel the swelling or infection in my mouth. And it still hurts pretty bad. Debating on calling my DR office for something for pain because the Motrin just isn't cutting it anymore. 

I'm starting to freak out though because if this antibiotic isn't clearing it up I hope that it isn't a more serious infection that requires surgery or stronger antibiotics that will throw a wrench in breastfeeding. 

Have any of you had a bad tooth, teeth pulled or dental surgery and still able to breastfeed? I'm so worried about this. 

I have been trying to get a good "Stock" of milk with little success in case I have to go on something stronger she can still get my milk until I'm able to breastfeed again. I don't have supply problems, I have enough to feed her but barely enough to pump out between feedings. 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't k ow why they couldn't prescribe you anything. :-(. Think of the meds they give postpartum moms. This is from kellymom.com:

Dental Work and Breastfeeding
JULY 29, 2011. Posted in: ILLNESS, SURGERY & MEDICAL PROCEDURES,MOM'S HEALTH
More Sharing Services
(x-rays, local anesthesia, sedation and more)

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Both x-rays and novocaine (and other drugs used for local anesthesia, such as bupivacaine and lidocaine) are considered to be compatible with breastfeeding.

Most medications used for oral and IV sedation are considered compatible with breastfeeding.

Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) sedation is also considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is virtually insoluble in the bloodstream, which means it goes from your brain to your lungs to the room air immediately after you stop breathing it in. Per Hale, “it is rapidly eliminated from the body due to rapid exchange with nitrogen via the pulmonary alveoli (within minutes). A rapid recovery generally occurs within 3-5 minutes… Ingestion of nitrous oxide orally via milk is unlikely.” See Conscious Sedation for more information.

A mother who has wisdom tooth surgery should not need to interrupt breastfeeding at all (except during the surgery, of course). To minimize baby’s exposure (and increase mom’s comfort), mom can nurse just before she goes in for the procedure. There is no need to wait on breastfeeding afterwards or to pump and dump — mom can nurse as soon as she feels alert enough to hold baby. See Breastfeeding when mom has surgery for more information on breastfeeding and general anesthesia.

There are many pain medications compatible with breastfeeding. See Pain medications and breastfeeding for more information.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Here is the link to "pain medications and breastfeeding". The article didn't copy well from mobile so here's a link. Maybe someone can make it sticky or copy the article right here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/pain-meds/
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

This is a partial list of meds that are approved for breastfeeding.  There are many many more. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/aap-approved-meds/

amberlavine
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Ok so *HUGE sigh of relief*! Thank you ladies SO much for the info and links I'm so much more at ease now about the whole thing. I should have searched on kellymom but I didn't even think about it. :)

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I've had fillings.  

To pull it, they should just have to numb it.  I had the numbing stuff and laughing gas.  

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM
An abscess usually won't clear up with antibiotics alone. The body has blocked off the infection and the inside of the abscess has a high acid level and makes the antibiotics ineffective.

I have had several abscesses over the years in retained baby teeth and had to have the teeth pulled. It is usually only about $100 to have a tooth removed. Getting a bridge or implant costs afterward costs about $1000 per tooth. Good luck-that is some serious pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberlavine
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

It surely needs to be pulled. I have a few bad teeth on my bottom right side that need pulled. I had issues witht them while I was pregnant but they wouldn't do any dental work on me since I was 8 months pregnant. I'm just ready to get them out of my mouth so I can get back to normal! 

Quoting anxiousschk:

I've had fillings.  

To pull it, they should just have to numb it.  I had the numbing stuff and laughing gas.  

amberlavine
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Ewe $1000 per tooth! Wow! It's one I can live without lol. And yes seriously the pain that comes with this in all honesty I think I'd rather go through labor again, gladly. I try to explain this to my doctor and my boyfriend who just don't seem to understand the level of pain a toothache can cause. At least with both of my labors they were under 10 hours and that pain goes away. A toothache/pain can last for days and days. 

Quoting Cleo07:

An abscess usually won't clear up with antibiotics alone. The body has blocked off the infection and the inside of the abscess has a high acid level and makes the antibiotics ineffective.

I have had several abscesses over the years in retained baby teeth and had to have the teeth pulled. It is usually only about $100 to have a tooth removed. Getting a bridge or implant costs afterward costs about $1000 per tooth. Good luck-that is some serious pain.

littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I feel you I have 5 teeth that need pulled & worked on. We have to wait for dh insurance coverage at his new job. Only 4 more months until I can get it fixed.
Hopefully you get relief soon
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Your dentist is ignorant! Give him the infantrisk or lactmed information so he can get correct information regarding medications and breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)