Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Expressing milk

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
Will expressing n giving milk with a bottle make my baby more used to bottle only n not breastfeed?
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
asaffell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

It can. Bottle preference is a very real thing and can happen at any time. That's why you should only use bottles when mom has to be away from baby.

JWibb
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My LO gets a bottle during the day while I'm at work. As soon as I'm home and on the weekends he only is on breast. He didn't seem to have an issue.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
It depends on how old the baby is, how often you give a bottle, the nipple size, how much is in the bottle, who gives the bottles, etc.
Shyamli
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I am expressing milk to increase my milk supply but giving that expressed milk will make her more used to bottle.. I dnt knw wat to do..
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Pumping and giving her the milk you pumped wont increase your supply. Pumping and not giving her that milk will increase your supply because you're telling your body to make more milk than she's taking in every day.
You should really only give bottles when you have to for some reason. There is no reason to get her used to a bottle. If you are not with her and she gets hungry, she will either take it or take as little as possible and wait for you to come back.

Quoting Shyamli:

I am expressing milk to increase my milk supply but giving that expressed milk will make her more used to bottle.. I dnt knw wat to do..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Why are you trying to increase your supply? What makes you think that it needs increasing? Most moms who think their supply is low really have perfect supply. We can help you figure it all out.

http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/milkproduction-faq/

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/breast-fullness/

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Why are you wanting to increase your supply?

If you want to give bottles then keep in mind you shouldn't be anywhere around and you need to pump for that missed session. It's actually more work for you if someone gives a bottle just to help you out if your near baby. Also daddy can bond other ways if that's the reason for the bottles. My DH plays with, changes diapers and mainly just spends time with them and they bonded with him. Most of the time they prefer him over me, lol.

Quoting Shyamli:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shyamli:

Unless there is something wrong with baby's latch/suck, then nursing mroe frequently is a MUCH better way to increase milk supply.

How old is baby?

Why do you feel supply is low?

Do you need to leave baby for work or school or something? 

No need to introduce a bottle until you need to because you're going to be away from baby.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Pumping as an extra on top of nursing can raise supply but giving bottles instead of nursing will lower supply

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)