Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping and work in CA

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
My blood is absolutely boiling right now. Although I am done pumping, several of my co-workers still do. The HOSPITAL that I work at in California does not have any place to pump since they remodeled our break room and didn't put doors back on the locker rooms. Most employees use the bathroom but one absolutely refuses. I don't blame her. She sits in the break room and uses a cover. It does not bother her in the least if anybody else is in there or comes in while she is doing it. She is totally comfortable.

Apparently last week another of our coworkers complained that it made her uncomfortable. The pumping mom was called into the office, told she could not do it in the breakroom any longer, and was actually reprimanded for it. She was told she either had to use the bathroom or another room that doesn't have a lock. Another of my co-workers was very angry with this and made her a particianed area in the physicians break room. The physicians breakroom does lock, but every doctor has a key and are apparently illiterate as they come in even when she has a sign up.

I am so pissed. #1 the hospital should provide a private place with a door that locks and #2 to be REPRIMANDED for pumping in the breakroom? WTF? Nobody in management here seems to have a clue that what they are doing is illegal!

What should I suggest to this mom? She is VERY upset. She was horribly embarrassed. The original complainer has also made comments about her and other breast feeding moms, stating it's disgusting to have to hear "that" at work. Ugh! I am so disappointed in my organization right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM
where in CA? I live in CA too and the hospitals I live by (and delivered at) were very supportive of breastfeeding. They have a large room designated for breastfeeding. I have no advice but to complain to higher ups. I think that its crazy that being in a hospital that nurses or any worker of that sort would feel uncomfortable as opposed to all the other things you deal with in a hospital. RIDICULOUS. Here's a BUMP!! hopefully someone has some advice for you! I am just as curious to what you can do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Both the state and federal laws state that they MUST provide a private place that is NOT A BATHROOM for mothers to pump!!! What they are doing is VERY illegal and needs to be reported immediately! Who reprimanded her? Was it HR? She (and any others) needs to go up the chain of command until this is dealt with. Where in CA are you? I'm in Sacramento.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffiecox
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Is there an empty room a patient isn't occupying? When my sil had her baby I went to visit her and my new niece. When it was feeding time for my baby I asked a nurse for a private place to breastfeed and they said I could use one of the rooms that was unoccupied. Also here in IN its a state law that all work areas must provide a private area that is not a bathroom for breastfeeding moms to pump. Is it a law there in CA? I'd look into if so and print out that it is a law and flash the info to your boss.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Default.aspx?TabId=188 (quotes below from the site)

What should a nursing mother do if her employer is not complying with the law?

A. 

If an employee would like to file a complaint because she believes her employer has violated the break time for nursing mothers requirement under the FLSA, she should call the toll-free WHD number 1-866-487-9243 and she will be directed to the nearest WHD office for assistance. The WHD Web site provides basic information about how to file a complaint and how the WHD will investigate complaints.

Q. 

What are the penalties for employers who violate this law?

A. 

Section 7(r) of the FLSA does not specify any penalties if an employer is found to have violated the break time for nursing mothers requirement. If an employer refuses to comply with the requirements, however, the Department may seek injunctive relief in federal district court, and may obtain reinstatement and lost wages for the employee.

If an employer treats employees who take breaks to express breast milk differently than employees who take breaks for other personal reasons, the nursing employee may have a claim for disparate treatment under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Ohh soooooo.many laws broken.
Report them asap!
What hospital
The hospitals I've been to allows there works & pts to use the pumping rooms. I'm in so ca.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I would report them AND take it to the local news outlet
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Wow! At a hospital too!!! I live in Ca, curious where this is at!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Call the department of Fair Employment and Housing. The hospital has violated the law. Also call the Labor department.

The hopsital faces a fine for allowing a hostile work environment at the very least.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Where in CA? I may be able to direct you to a news outlet.

motheram
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
It's in a town north of Sacramento. I am hesitant to say exactly which one for fear of retaliation. Yes, I am well aware of the multiple laws broken. The "higher ups" do not either care or understand the law. "Trouble-makers" are being fired left and right from this hospital. No, it was not HR that reprimanded her; it was a department supervisor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN