Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dry Diaper, should I be concerned?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 22 Replies

Hi. I have an 11 month old. I'm a first time mom & obviously a first time breastfeeder. My baby has never had a single drop of formula & I have been nursing on demand since she was born. At this age she is nursing every 4 hours or so & is eating lots of table food. I still count diapers everyday & she usually wakes up with a very heavy pee diaper which I count as 2. Today she woke up bone dry. I changed her last night around 9pm before bed & she slept all night without nursing (which she has been doing for the past 2 months or so). She woke up around 7am & nursed. Should I worry about the dry diaper or just assume it's a fluke? I haven't pumped in a long time because I'm home with her & at this stage in the game I'm never engorged & never leak. My only indication of supply is the diaper counts so it freaked me out this morning when she was dry. Should I be worried?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuckermum
by Crysta on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Bump
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM
This will happen and it's nothing at all to worry about. An older infant and toddler has a growIng bladder that's able to hold more than before. A lot of parents are concerned the first time it happens but it's perfectly fine.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No, no worries. She has just been holding it in longer, and at night that can happen too :) around that age my kids started.waking up dry diapers, and when that would happen i would take them to the potty and say "ssssssss", and they would pee.....a lot! Lol
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thank you. I'm trying not to think into it too much but it's hard when it's your first baby. I always worry about my supply. I know that pump output means nothing but I was thinking about pumping at some point today just to reassure me that there is still milk in there. When she nurses I can hear her swallow & I assume she wouldn't nurse for 10 minutes straight if nothing was coming out. Do you know at this stage in the game if it's also normal not to feel let down anymore? I haven't felt that in months. I'm kind of happy I don't feel it anymore because mine was painful. Thanks again :)

Quoting stepconfused182:

This will happen and it's nothing at all to worry about. An older infant and toddler has a growIng bladder that's able to hold more than before. A lot of parents are concerned the first time it happens but it's perfectly fine.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Thanks. This is the first time it's ever happened & it freaked me out. Now all morning I've been offering the boob. lol.

Quoting Precious333:

No, no worries. She has just been holding it in longer, and at night that can happen too :) around that age my kids started.waking up dry diapers, and when that would happen i would take them to the potty and say "ssssssss", and they would pee.....a lot! Lol

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I bet your morning nap diaper will be heavy! :)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Lol, never hurts to.offer :)

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Thanks. This is the first time it's ever happened & it freaked me out. Now all morning I've been offering the boob. lol.

Quoting Precious333:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
It's normal for the letdown feeling to go away. If she's still nursing and swallowing there's milk. Short of removing your breasts, pregnancy, or taking an estrogen containing birth control, your milk will not just dry up as long as she is nursing. My ds weaned 4 months ago and I still have milk. :)

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Thank you. I'm trying not to think into it too much but it's hard when it's your first baby. I always worry about my supply. I know that pump output means nothing but I was thinking about pumping at some point today just to reassure me that there is still milk in there. When she nurses I can hear her swallow & I assume she wouldn't nurse for 10 minutes straight if nothing was coming out. Do you know at this stage in the game if it's also normal not to feel let down anymore? I haven't felt that in months. I'm kind of happy I don't feel it anymore because mine was painful. Thanks again :)

Quoting stepconfused182:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM
As they get older they stop peeing in their sleep. It's natural and is usually one of the signs they're ready to potty train.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Good to know. Thank you. I'm a first time mom so I didn't know that.

Quoting polkaspots:

As they get older they stop peeing in their sleep. It's natural and is usually one of the signs they're ready to potty train.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN