Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastpump?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

So I am having my son on Oct 1st (via c-section) and I will be going back to work in Mid January. I still want to breastfeed but I will need a pump since my mil will be taking care of him.

What pump do ya'll recommend?

After 3 months of EBF will my son take my breast after taking a bottle?(When I come back from work I want to give him my breast not a bottle. Will he take it?)

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kryjen
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I suggest the Medela Pump In Style.  I've used it to ep for both my kids.  If you want to make sure your son will still want to nurse, look up paced bottle feeding and share it with MOTHER-IN-LAW or any other caretakers.  Also, only ever use the slowest flow nipples, don't go up in stages as baby gets older.  Finally, follow the rule of about an oz. per hr.of separation. It can be a little more, but not by much,  so if baby eats roughly every 2-3 hrs., bottles should be around 2-3 oz. each.  Make sure you try to pump as often as baby will eat in your absenc, get a good hands free system too.  I use the pump ease pumping band.  I also use pumpin pals, shields which I have seen great results from, but they get mixed reviews.  Good luck and congrats!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yes, he'll take it. He make resist a cbottle. A sippy cup woll be fine, though.

Hygeia ENjoye, Ameda Purely yours and Medela "Style" models are our top picks, in that order. The first two are closed system [umps... milk cannot get into the motor and create mold.

kbutton24
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I love my Lansinoh (sp) it's much cheaper than the Medela but its a little noisy. I just put it under a pillow :) dd (12 months) does fine with a bottle when I go out which is not very often.
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Do you recommened any bottles? I was looking into the Comotomo bottles but what would you suggest?

Quoting kryjen:

I suggest the Medela Pump In Style.  I've used it to ep for both my kids.  If you want to make sure your son will still want to nurse, look up paced bottle feeding and share it with MOTHER-IN-LAW or any other caretakers.  Also, only ever use the slowest flow nipples, don't go up in stages as baby gets older.  Finally, follow the rule of about an oz. per hr.of separation. It can be a little more, but not by much,  so if baby eats roughly every 2-3 hrs., bottles should be around 2-3 oz. each.  Make sure you try to pump as often as baby will eat in your absenc, get a good hands free system too.  I use the pump ease pumping band.  I also use pumpin pals, shields which I have seen great results from, but they get mixed reviews.  Good luck and congrats!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Bottle choice is up to baby really. Not familiar with Comotomo. But.. buy ONE of your preferred bottle. Hand baby to caregiver and leave. If baby takes it while you're out and about, you have a winner and can buy more.If not, buy one of your next choice and repeat the experiment.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

Comotomo bottles are pretty expensive at $16 + per bottle. A lot o moms and babies like the Playtex drop in bottles with slow flow nipples. When you are buying a few bottles at a time, those expensive bottles can really add up. Then if baby wont take it, that's all that money wasted on them.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
If you keep with giving baby 1-1.25 oz per hour away from baby with bottles never any bigger than 3 oz -ever-, with only slow flow nipples used, then baby won't start preferring the bottle to you. Look on kellymom.com on how to bottle feed a bf baby. Print it out and give to caregiver.
kryjen
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It depends on baby on what bottles to get.  I'm with the pp who said to get one of a bottle of like and see if baby takes it.  Ds was happy with evenflo, but dd couldn't handle them.  I use the playtex ventaire with her, but I wish I'd I'd the drop ins.  Lately, I've been having trouble with them occasionally leaking from the base.  I have to get new valves, I think that's what they're called.  Anyways, just make sure they are slow flow nipples and check that they are slow enough because each type can be different.

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

Do you recommened any bottles? I was looking into the Comotomo bottles but what would you suggest?

Quoting kryjen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)