Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Adjusting baby to new schedule! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post
At the end of next month I am going back to school. My dd is 5 months and I have started her on rice cereal and other foods twice a day. But she still religiously breast feeds. She will NOT take a bottle. I'm nervous about how she will adjust when I have to go back. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be gone from 9-2 and Mondays and Wednesdays I will be gone from 9-6 :( any advice?
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I agree with all of this!

Quoting Junebaby18:

Food should not be given until MINIMUM 6 months and cereal has no nutritional value to it at all. When you start, give *maybe* once per day as breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition until age 1.

When you leave baby, leave 1-1.25 oz of BM per hour of separation.
On Monday, leave 2, 2 oz bottles. Nurse right before drop off and right after coming back.
On Wednesday, leave 4, 2 oz bottles or 3, 3 oz bottles.

No need to get baby used to a bottle. If baby is hungry, baby will take the bottle. Caregiver can also give baby the milk with a medicine syringe or small cup like a shot glass.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

What she said.

Quoting melindabelcher:

aftermarket car seat products are illegal UNSAFE to use but not illegal to sell. Just because a company is marketing it as safe doesnt mean it is.
run a simple google search on infant cereal educate yourself on them and then make the best decision for your family.
Also if you see three pedis with an issue you'll likely get three different opinions. They can't all be right. Pedis get super minimal nutrition training in school and the rest comes from infant formula AND BABY FOOD companies

Quoting Natalierae17:

I keep hearing all this stuff about rice cereal but why would my pediatrician recommend it? If this was a proven fact then I think they wouldn't sell it an doctors would not be recommending it.

rfhsure
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

it's true about doctors. They can be like teachers in that sense. They learn to do things by the book. There can be multiple studies done by reputable scientists and doctors refuting something and until it is updated in textbooks and curriculums for doctors then they are going to continue recommending things like that. My son is 5 months and my doctor looked completely baffled that I haven't started him on solids. She kept pressing it on me. He's 18 lbs. He has no issues. There is no medical reason to give him solids, she would not let up on the topic.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting Natalierae17:

I keep hearing all this stuff about rice cereal but why would my pediatrician recommend it? If this was a proven fact then I think they wouldn't sell it an doctors would not be recommending it.

Drs still recommend it because that's what they always used to do and drs don't want to do the research on current research.

It sells because people buy it. Candy has no nutritional value, but people buy it by cases every day.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastmilk is the main source of calories for the first year. Solids are just for fun from six to twelve months. Baby should be able to sit unsupported in her high chair, have lost tongue thrust reflex, and be able to use pincer grasp to put food in her own mouth. Six months is the bare minimum for starting solids; many babies are not ready until much later. Breastmilk is mote nutrient and calorie dense than solids.
yrfavoritseason
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I went back to school when my daughter was 8 weeks. She NEVER took a bottle.. even though I left one for her. I would take a 2 hour class, come back and feed her, take another 2-3 hour class, etc. Is there any way you can adjust your class schedule? Maybe change 1 or 2 classes to online? You have to make a lot of sacrifices to EBF.. I am just now going back to work part time and she is 13 months! She is soo attached to me!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
One thing we know for fact about formula and baby food companies... they're only in it for the money. That's why they advertise formula as close to breastmilk and are always saying how many vitamins each of their products have. They neglect to tell you how poorly absorbed their fake vitamins are.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I just LIE! When we go back... yes ma'am i'm offering him cows milk three times a day and giving him the enfamil vitamins you recomended. When really he gets milk with breakfast and we've started a high iron diet.

Quoting rfhsure:

it's true about doctors. They can be like teachers in that sense. They learn to do things by the book. There can be multiple studies done by reputable scientists and doctors refuting something and until it is updated in textbooks and curriculums for doctors then they are going to continue recommending things like that. My son is 5 months and my doctor looked completely baffled that I haven't started him on solids. She kept pressing it on me. He's 18 lbs. He has no issues. There is no medical reason to give him solids, she would not let up on the topic.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting Natalierae17:

Drs still recommend it because that's what they always used to do and drs don't want to do the research on current research.

It sells because people buy it. Candy has no nutritional value, but people buy it by cases every day.

Natalierae17
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM
It's a very specific program (physical therapy assistant) and it is also an hour away :(

Quoting yrfavoritseason:

I went back to school when my daughter was 8 weeks. She NEVER took a bottle.. even though I left one for her. I would take a 2 hour class, come back and feed her, take another 2-3 hour class, etc. Is there any way you can adjust your class schedule? Maybe change 1 or 2 classes to online? You have to make a lot of sacrifices to EBF.. I am just now going back to work part time and she is 13 months! She is soo attached to me!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I was trying to get into a PTA program here. I haven't finished the prerequisites, can't pay for school and books, and can't find a job.

Reverse cycling is fine. If she doesn't take any milk while you're gone, she will make it up when you're together.

Quoting Natalierae17:

It's a very specific program (physical therapy assistant) and it is also an hour away :(

Quoting yrfavoritseason:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Sadly, if you spend one week reading posts in this group you will have more training on infant nutrition than your doctor ever got in med school.

Know where they get most of their traning? From the marketing materials and reps sent out by manufacturers of infant food. Not exactly unbiased info, woulodn't you say?

Quoting Natalierae17:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)