Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bottle vs breast help

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hello ladies, I'm going to be new at bf baby in dec. I'm wondering ifi pump my breast milk on the go and bf at home will she get confused and take to one and not the other?

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM
The issue is that you will need to pump for the missed feeding while out. Some babies do fine going back and forth, some have preferences... But, you need to pump for missed feeds anyway, so it's just easier to nurse when you are able.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM
You would have to pump as well as feed baby the bottle while youre out. It's much easier to nurse than give a bf baby a bottle. Babies tend to nurse longer than they can drink a bottle so it's not as satisfying for them. They don't just nurse for nutrition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

YEP its pretty common for baby to prefer the bottle since its easier and faster.  Pumping whiile on the go is a PAIN in the butt..you can nurse in public but pumping not so much

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I agree with everything they said! ^^^

newmelly2009
by Melissa on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

The issue is that you will need to pump for the missed feeding while out. Some babies do fine going back and forth, some have preferences... But, you need to pump for missed feeds anyway, so it's just easier to nurse when you are able.

What so you men by missed feeds?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You miss a feeding when you give a bottle instead of nursing. Each bottle given without pumping tells your body that it doesn't need to make milk when it really does. If you don't pump during that feeding, you can get engorged and uncomfortable and it can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

newmelly2009
by Melissa on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting aehanrahan:

You miss a feeding when you give a bottle instead of nursing. Each bottle given without pumping tells your body that it doesn't need to make milk when it really does. If you don't pump during that feeding, you can get engorged and uncomfortable and it can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I had no idea about this, so if I'm pumping to take it with me because I know I have to bottle feed while visiting family, I would also probably have to pump two bottles one to feed her while we are out and one to feed her on the spot, or pump one breast and feed with the other. And pump at the feeding while we are visiting, I can see why bf is easier now, you would have to do both anyway.

this is more complicated than I thought. Lol

Candie1015
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Bf also increases mother baby bonding time and your bond grows stronger. I know it doesn't feel like your bond could get much stronger but you'll notice a difference after a while. The bond also last longer. I have never felt as close to my daughter as I did when I breast feed
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
It's only complicated because society makes it that way. It should be the most natural and instinctual thing in the world for a mother to put her hungry baby to the breast no matter where you are. It is for all other mammals. Its such a simple concept that humans have complicated the hell out of!

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I had no idea about this, so if I'm pumping to take it with me because I know I have to bottle feed while visiting family, I would also probably have to pump two bottles one to feed her while we are out and one to feed her on the spot, or pump one breast and feed with the other. And pump at the feeding while we are visiting, I can see why bf is easier now, you would have to do both anyway.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
You just either need to be nursing, or pumping. Not both... Nursing is just easier than pumping and bottlefeeding when you are together anyway. It can be a challenge at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's second nature.

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting newmelly2009:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)