Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Looking for the best slow-flow bottle for a breast-feeding mom

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm currently not producing enough milk for my 3-week old daughter, so our pediatrician has added 2oz of formula into her diet. We're using a bottle to administer the formula and it's working great, no nipple confusion whatsoever.

Except the nipples aren't exactly "slow-flow". I've tried both Avent and Dr. Brown's slow-flow nipples and the formula still pools in her mouth.

Anyone have luck with other brands, in terms of combining the bottle with breastfeeding?

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We use Playtex Nurser with drop in liners. I've heard they are fine of the slowest flow nips out there
golther
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Dr brown sells a preemie flow nipple is that the one you've used? It works well for my baby.
agk395
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

We haven't used the premie one, no. Just the newborn slow-flow nipples.

golther
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM
You can find the preemie ones at BRU, but only for the skinny bottles.
babygirl3796
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM
have u tried evenflo yet thats what i use i also use parents choice cuz they were cheap at the time i was getting stuff for my baby girl. the rest was given to me.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this
What is leading you to believe she needs supplementing? Three weeks is a huge growth spurt. It would not be unusual for her to be almost constantly at the breast--that's how she builds your supply. What is her weight history so far, including lowest weight after birth, and how many wet and poopy diapers does she make in 24 hours? Odds are, your pediatrician needs a bit of education on breastfed babies.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Has she been checked for lip and tongue ties?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
A Supplemental Nursing System would allow the slowest flow, with you giving supplementation at the breast to stimulate your supply.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting agk395:

We haven't used the premie one, no. Just the newborn slow-flow nipples.

Are they they standard or the wide Dr Browns? The standard Dr Brown bottles/nipples are some of the slowest on the market. The premie ones are the slowest, but the newborn ones are still slower than almost all other brands.

Are you pumping so that you can supplement with your own milk and to bring up your supply?

Why does doc say you need to supplement? What makes you think your milk is not enough?

Has doc rules out any problems with latch/suck (sometimes mom makes plenty of milk but baby has trouble nursing effectively)

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Im going to use Comotomo. they are kind of pricey but amazing =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN