Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Encouragement, please....

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

Dd2 is 9 months and LOVES her some solids. We're doing babyled solids (no purees, only table foods) but nursing immediately prior. With my first dd, she wasn't all hardcore into solids until 11.5 months. This little chunker tries to out stubborn me and just wants to eat whenever we eat no matter if she nurses first or not. It's a battle every day. I know sometimes I've let her eat without a full nursing, but I haven't ever let her eat without nursing at all. I know nursing immediately before offering solids is best, I'm just dreading the next three months. I've told dh that we won't offer foods until at least 9 months with the next baby! Haha. I just need some encouragement to keep nursing first before solids. It's hard because with a 3 yr old in the house, too, sometimes the baby gets mad when she can't have snacks, too. Nursing to one year is my absolute minimum goal. Nursing up to age 2 would be awesome. I don't want dd2 to wean early or not get optimal nutrition because of over feeding solids. I offer food 1-2 times a day right now. 

Sorry this was long and a bit disconnected. 

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My third was similar. The other two.started at 11-12 months, my third was asking around 8-9 and that was so new for me. He still nursed a ton, he just wanted to be like us, so i would let him have tastes of my food, and it was never scheduled. Its ok to say no, and its ok to give tastes too :)
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Just go with the flow. Trust your gut. You know that it's best she nurse first it's not like you're trying to deny that. Just do you best but if it doesn't happen all the time don't be too hard on your self, you can always cut back table foods if you feel like it. I'm not sure cuz my dd never did but I think 9mo is common nursing strike age too, so watch for signs. Bump for more advice :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I made a point of sitting down and nursing before we sat down to a meal. Every time, without fail. But I also didn't have an older child. 

To be honest, I'd be more stubborn than her. No means no. To me, solids are like giving ice cream before dinner. 

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

This is exactly where I am, I try to set her up in a spot where she can play and not see anyone else eating or it turns into a battle and half the time she doesn't want the boob just whatever whoever's eating has. The 3 y/o isn't very helpful with this and likes to sneak snacks to the baby...

Just keep doing what you're doing though, and try to get as much milk into her as she'll take before solids :)

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

This is what I do. And there are times she refuses to nurse, so we all sit down and she just gets toys in the high chair. She spends over half the meal doing eating motions then will finally give in and nurse so she can eat solids, too. It's just tiring because she's so darn stubborn! My first wasn't quite so headstrong. Boy, I'll be in trouble when this one is a teenager! Haha

Quoting gdiamante:

I made a point of sitting down and nursing before we sat down to a meal. Every time, without fail. But I also didn't have an older child. 

To be honest, I'd be more stubborn than her. No means no. To me, solids are like giving ice cream before dinner. 

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. 

Quoting Zazayam:

This is exactly where I am, I try to set her up in a spot where she can play and not see anyone else eating or it turns into a battle and half the time she doesn't want the boob just whatever whoever's eating has. The 3 y/o isn't very helpful with this and likes to sneak snacks to the baby...

Just keep doing what you're doing though, and try to get as much milk into her as she'll take before solids :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're doing the best you can.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I agree.

Quoting gdiamante:

I think you're doing the best you can.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD was the same way. With a busy house and 3 kids it was not a battle I was going to fight to the death. I did my best to nurse before solids, but it did not always happen. I knew that she was still nursing quite frequently, so I figured she made up for it at other times. 

I say do what you can, but don't worry so much. Babies are pretty good at getting what they need!

It certainly didn't cuase early weaning in our case, she's still nursing at 4yrs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN