Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping questions.

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 18 Replies
I return to work next Friday (I could cry).

I'm planning to nurse on one side & pump on the other with DD's first feeding of the day. The pumped milk should be enough for one bottle. I typically pump 2-4 ounces each morning like this.

Then, I plan to pump when I get to work at 8, at 12:05 when my lunch starts, at 1:20 when my plan time ends, and at 3:20 before I leave for the day (I can't leave until 3:40, but kids dismiss at 3:20, so I have 20 minutes).

I'm pressed for time. My questions involve storing milk/pump parts. I'm going to put a mini-fridge in my classroom. Do I have to wash my pump parts between each pumping session? I feel like I've read that I can refrigerate them between sessions. Can I pump into the same bottles during the day if there is milk in it from an earlier session?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM
You don't have to wash them between pump sessions. Just keep them in the fridge and wash them when you get home. You can keep pumping into the same bottles all day, until they get full. No worry about spilling milk either.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You don't have to wash. But don't put fresh milk onto cooled milk; should be same temp.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
So, new bottles? Can I dump the two together & reuse one of them at the next session?

Quoting gdiamante:

You don't have to wash. But don't put fresh milk onto cooled milk; should be same temp.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Quoting lillybug222:

As long as all of it has cooled. You don't want to pour warm milk into cooled.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I would have a big bottle (I used the 9oz ones for work cuz I was a freak of nature) and small bottles to pump into. First pumping session I dumped the small bottles into the big bottle. Second pumping session I left the small bottles in the fridge, thurs session I dumped the small bottles I to the big bottle (they had cooked down, pumped again and took all 3 bottles home. Hope that makes sense.

Quoting lillybug222:

So, new bottles? Can I dump the two together & reuse one of them at the next session?

Quoting gdiamante:

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
It does! Thank you!

Quoting audmom1218:

I would have a big bottle (I used the 9oz ones for work cuz I was a freak of nature) and small bottles to pump into. First pumping session I dumped the small bottles into the big bottle. Second pumping session I left the small bottles in the fridge, thurs session I dumped the small bottles I to the big bottle (they had cooked down, pumped again and took all 3 bottles home. Hope that makes sense.

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Quoting MusherMaggie:

I always add the freshly pumped milk to the bottle of chilled milk. What have I done wrong?
CANDI90
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM
I was always told to never mix the pumped milk with a different time of pumped milk.
3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I have started doing this as well since it sometimes takes two or more pumping sessions to get enough to store. What does it do to the milk? Cold milk is such a pain to get out of the bottle and into a bag to freeze so I typically pump once, store it in the fridge and then pump fresh into the fridge bottle at next session and then put that in a bag to freeze. Will that make the milk bad? I only have a few like this...do I need to dump those or just wait til we thaw it out to use and check it to make sure it hasn't turned in color or taste?

Quoting mahogany_mum:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I always add the freshly pumped milk to the bottle of chilled milk. What have I done wrong?

oliver92
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I used to carry a large ziploc and place in fridge until every evening when I got home then wash and set aside for the next day.  It helps if you have an extra set, so daily you take out dirty and put in clean, and then never forget anything.  I always pumped into bottles during day unless I had time to place in bag right then.  Good for you, it wasnt an easy committment to pump and work, but it worked great for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN