Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Soon to be mama - breast reduction

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Ladies-

I am due in about 5 weeks now and I'm starting to get myself more familiarized with breastfeeding. I had a breast reduction surgery (anchor method), it'll be 4 years ago in December. I've heard many different things regarding breast feeding, that I definietly will be able to, that I should be able to but will experience a decrease in supply, and that it more than likely won't work for me. I was wondering if any other moms in here have had a breast reduction surgery before and what breast feeding is like for you? I have checked out BFAR and such already. Also, did you take anything for supply issues? I've been looking into the Fenugrek and also this natural herb pill called diary queen.

Thanks!!

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Sounds like you have an excellent plan in place. You can check with your surgeon to see if any ducts were cut; if they weren't you're much less likely to have problems.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I've had 2 breastfeeding friends who had babies post surgery. One was able to ebf after getting domperidone. The other was breastfeeding with an additional bottle or 2 or formula each day. 

agk395
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I had a breast reduction done on one breast (it was a reconstructive surgery to rebuild my breasts) and yes, I have a decrease in milk supply out of that breast due to severed milk ducts. I've done a lot to try to boost the milk supply to it's max, in terms of pumping as much as possible, taking Fenugreek, etc. Yet it's not the same as what I get out of the "good breast" as I like to call it. We've had to add formula into our daughter's diet as a result, which is fine because she's still getting breast milk. Most likely you will not produce as much milk as your baby will need, but it's not the end of the world! Give them as much as you can, and supplement the rest. Remember....any amount of breast milk is good.

agk395
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Also, in terms of supplements....definetly take Fenugreek (I take 4 capsules, twice a day). I also had a lactation consultant at the hospital tell me about another supplement called "Motherlove Tea". I haven't tried it yet, but you can get it on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-Alcohol-liquid/dp/B000JZ1ZE6

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Watch the diaper count. Baby will need 1 diaper per day of age until day 6 and then 6-8 diapers per 24 hour period. Day 1-1 diaper, day 3-3 diapers, etc.

Baby will also go through growth spurts at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months. At those times, baby will constantly be wanting to nurse. That is not a bad thing and doesn't mean baby isn't getting enough milk.

Baby will initially loose weight, sometimes up to 13% of birth weight depending on if you have a csection or a bag or two of ivs. That is very normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)