Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

sucking fingers while nursing.

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 22 Replies
My ds is 5 months old and every once in awhile he will stick his fingers in his mouth while nursing. Its pretty uncomfortable and I always move his hand. Any one else have this problem? When did your baby stop doing it?
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tarakay0417
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Here is a pic of him doing it. He is a silly baby. Lol
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
My dd tried sucking her thumb while nursing. It is very much not comfy! I just kept holding her hand down when she tried and it didn't take too long before she stopped. Maybe a week.
tarakay0417
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I hope he quits soon. He just started it a couple days ago. It kills my nipples.

Quoting Junebaby18:

My dd tried sucking her thumb while nursing. It is very much not comfy! I just kept holding her hand down when she tried and it didn't take too long before she stopped. Maybe a week.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Quoting tarakay0417:

My dd pinched the skin on my boob between her mouth and the rest of my boob while doing it a few times. That's quite painful.

Just keep being consistent with moving his hand away each time he does it.

If he does it while awake, you can also offer a toy for him to hold or even get a nursing necklace for you to wear.
tarakay0417
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I have a nursing necklace that he loves. He has only started to suck his fingers while he is asleep. I have tried to unlatch him and let him suck his finger but he refuses and wants to continue nursing. I always remove his hand and will hold his hand until he is asleep enough to unlatch and lay down. Hopefully he will get the hint and quit soon.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting tarakay0417:

My dd pinched the skin on my boob between her mouth and the rest of my boob while doing it a few times. That's quite painful.

Just keep being consistent with moving his hand away each time he does it.

If he does it while awake, you can also offer a toy for him to hold or even get a nursing necklace for you to wear.
Kahla11
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My twins are going to be 8 months on friday and they still do this mostly when they are asleep. i constantly move their hands or hold it, but it never fails when i start to get sleepy or i relax a little finger goes right back in mouth. :)

tarakay0417
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Seems like this is pretty normal behavior. Ds is my 2nd baby but first nurser. This is all uncharted territory for me. I am going to just keep movinh his hand and hope he will stop. :)

Quoting Kahla11:

My twins are going to be 8 months on friday and they still do this mostly when they are asleep. i constantly move their hands or hold it, but it never fails when i start to get sleepy or i relax a little finger goes right back in mouth. :)

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My son would do that when he was teething.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Mine just started doing that a few weeks ago, she's 9 months now and it hurts lol. I just move her hand but she hasn't stopped yet..

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Nathan did at that age. I treated it the same way I treated biting... unlatch and baby time out. After a couple of feedings ended earlier than he had planned, he learned and stopped doing it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN