Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

is anything happening??

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hi ladies! My little guy was born at 933 this morning, and so far he seems to be nursing like a champ. His latch is great. But how do I know if he is getting anything? I can squeeze and nothing comes out. Woildnt there be colostrum or something? He is having wet diapers, but I know this could be from inhaling fluid. His weight loss is at 3%. So it's less than the normal 5%-7% post birth weight loss. Sorry just with all my previous breastfeeding issues I'm scared I'm starving him.

To add, I am doing my best to nurse every 2 hours. He usually goes from 10-15 min per side before he falls asleep again. But I'm also nursing on demand too
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM

It sounds like he is doing just fine. Colostrum is very thick so it may be tough to manually squeeze it out to check. As long as he is nursing and seems satisfied there should be nothing to worry about. That's great that you are nursing! It can take a few days or even a week or so to get your milk in. (It took five days my first baby but less than a day the second time) Congratulations on your healthy little boy!!  :)

CafeMom Tickers
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Congrats!!! Dont stress too much about the amount hes getting, he will tell you when hes hungry :) And ask the nurses everything, you have them at your beck and call for a few days and there are no silly questions :) Take it easy on the 3rd day too, you may be teary and upset for no reason but thats ok!!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Remember his stomach is just the size of a marble. Normal weight lss can be 10%, and even more if you had an IV or csection. Is he passing meconium?
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM
You want one diaper for each day of life. One diaper on day 1, two diapers on day 2, etc. one week and on you want 6 diapers/ day . Sounds like you're fine!
oliver92
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Just keep nursing on demand, your milk will come in slowly and you will notice the difference. :) His suckling will soothe him and help your supply come in perfectly.  My last one did the same thing and would pass out every time, I kept thinking is he getting anything, he cannot even stay awake. LOL... they get what they need, even from day 1.

oliver92
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Sorry I forgot to say CONGRATS AND GREAT JOB!!!!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Everything sounds great mama! Just keep nursing on demand and remember that he only needs one diaper per day of life for the first week, then 6-8 diapers after that. Congrats!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Oh honey he's just a few hours old, realx and let the magic happen. It sometimes takes a while for your milk to come in, as long as he's nursing often and happy and making diapers I'm sure everything's ok. I wouldn't worry about the every 2 hours thing- unless there's a medical reason to time it, just nurse on demand. Congrats! :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You know by dipes. Seroiusly, that's it. Today you're expected to have changed ONE, so if you're changing diapers plural, he's geting what's needed above and beyond ANYthing he might have swallowed during delivery.

Lisa009
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If the latch is good and you keep getting wet diapers, that is great. Let him nurse on demand. Your milk won't come in for a few days. Mine took about three days to come in. All babies lose weight in the beginning. They have amniotic fluid to dispel in their systems(which you mentioned yourself)  so a lot of the weight loss is form this. How often is he nursing? You can watch that too. Most new babies nurse every hour or two depending on how high needs your baby is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN