Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will i be able to breastfeed?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

I was leaking some colostrum for several weeks but it would dry when i noticed and its been like that for months. My eriolas were really hurting this past weekend so i put some petrolium jelly on them and it actually helped but the colostrum went away. I have been leaking more than the yuckky dry stuff thats left there. Im 36 weeks almost 37 and im just worried i will not be able to breastfeed and i really really want to , plus im on a very tight budget , the pregnancy wasnt planned so im trying to save money every way i can, and i agree breast is best. My mom was able to breastfeed , im just afraid im not going to be able to because i havent started heavily leaking yet. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrtymcdnl
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

i never leaked any with either of mine ..

youll be fine

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Delivery of baby and placenta causes a hormone cascade which triggers colostrum and milk production. What you leak beforehand doesn't mean anything. You really do not want to use petroleum products on you nipples, ever. Lanolin can be used and doesn't have to be wiped off before nursing. No soap on them when you're bathing, either.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I never leaked before any of my 4 babies were born and I was able to exclusively breastfed them without a bottle ever. I agree that petroleum jelly on the nipples is not a good idea as it can clog milk pores. Either leave them be or use a tiny smudge if lanolin if you feel your nipples are dry. Your nipples naturally secrete lubrication and infection-fighting fluid from the Montgomery tubercles so they're best left to self-clean.
Ptitchou
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I never leaked during pregnancy and had a massive oversupply after baby came:)
collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM
You'll be fine - it's normal to worry that you won't make enough. I was worried & I had an oversupply!
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I never leaked at all during my pregnancy and had no problem breastfeeding.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I never leaked while pregnant and we're still nursing at thirteen months. The hormones released after the placenta is delivered is what tells your body to make milk (and the act of baby suckling). So deliver the placenta, put baby to breast, he/she will have plenty of colostrum, and your milk will come in within a week or so.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I had milk come out exactly one time with each pregnancy. I only breastfed my first for three months, but my reason for stopping had nothing to do with having enough milk, we never figured out how to latch. With my second, he's still nursing at 1 1/2.
When your baby is born, you will produce tiny amounts of colostrum all the time for the few days it takes for your milk to come in. That's all you need. You don't need to express anything now because you don't have a baby to feed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM

you should be fine! i am leaking too (i'm 33.5wks). like someone else said, when placenta comes out, milk comes in

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I never leaked ONE DROP during pregnancy. Not a single one. Nothing.

Nursed to 26 months.

No worries!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN