Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Concerned Mom

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

My baby went an entire day with no poop spit up or burps so i called hid Dr. and she  told me tht  its ok for breastfed babies not to poop for up to 2 weeks. but ive started to supplement and sometimes i still dont get poop for a day or two at a time. my baby still seem to be behaving normally just as happy and vocal as ever but im still concerned. Has anyoneelse had this problem should i make him another appointment?

~Mother of Scone

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SuthernBelleo0o
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Babies don't absolutely have to poop everyday, Wether they are FF or BF. Your baby will be just fine :)

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to go a week or two without pooping.  There was a period where dd only went once a week. As long as baby doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Totally normal.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You only have to worry if baby becomes constipated. The signs of that are hard tummy, inability to pass gas, hard dry pellet poop and a miserable, unsoothable baby. You don't have those things, so don't worry. If your baby becomes constipated, you'll know. Constipated babies are miserable until after they go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Babies don't have to poop everyday. My kids would go a couple days without pooping when they had a growth spurt.
A lady I know her ds only pooped once a week. He was ebf. That's just how his body worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM
By 9-12 weeks each of my 4 babies was pooping once every 3-10 days. And when it hit, it HIT!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM
My son didn't poop but every four days. It's completely normal and is because breast milk is completely used and nothing goes to waste (almost nothing). But formula is poorly digested and has a bunch of other stuff in it... that's why it causes more poop.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't worried until you said you are supplementing.  Formula is constipating so I would be watching it.  How much are you supplementing?  Breastmilk is a natural laxative so the more you can nurse/pump and feed vs formula the less concerned I would be. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I would just let her nurse on demand and skip the supplement. Far better for her system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)