Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

This may be a stupid question but...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
My dd will be a year in 2 weeks. She still nurses every 3 hours. Up almost as often at night as well. Do meals and milk in a cup replace BM like a bottle fed baby after age one or ? I don't pump so at what point can I technically leave her and not worry about her needing to nurse? She hasn't mastered a cup quite yet. She would rather play with it when I put water in it but I have to admit I don't give her a cup often. She eats at meals with me but not a lot at times. She may eat some banana at breakfast. Lunch may be a few bites of chicken and some rice or potatoes. Dinner she may want nothing or she may eat some Cheerios. It all depends. I wouldn't say she is getting enough food to keep her going at this point. She still enjoys nursing which she should i know.
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
At one year old, all mine still.had breastmilk.as their main source of nutrition, although i know thats not what everyone does. If you are.gone and she is one, you do not have to leave milk if you choose not to, however, if you are gone for a lonf period.of time you may become engorged, and that can cause issues in itself. Also, it depends on her as well, she may miss nursing too. Weaning should be gradual and there is nothing wrong with nursing well passed one yrs old either or if you have to leave for a time thats fine too. Did that answer your question?
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM

After one, as long as she is allowed to nurse at least 3 times per day she doesn't need any other milk. So if you leave her for the day she can have water and solids (DD does better with a straw cup.  Hates sippys) But I personally wouldn't leave overnight without any milk until after 2. 

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Nutritionally you could be gone all day as long as you nurse three times.
From a practical standpoint I would wait until you can leave her and trust that she will eat when hungry and drink when thirsty. She doesn't need to eat or drink much as long as she drinks some water to keep hydrated, but it's much easier if they eat. The child is in a better mood, whoever is watching them is in a better mood...
One thing is, most people suggest nursing after meals once they hit the first birthday. That's what I did, I stopped insisting on nursing before meals about a week after his first birthday to help him eat a bit more.
Oh and we use a straw cup too, much easier. He sits upright to use it and doesn't spill it all over the place like he did with the sippy cups. It takes a while to master it, but like you I was only giving him water in it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trendy2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I plan to for the most part let her self wean but I would like to have the freedom to run out for a bit for appts, etc and not worry about her if its "time" for her to nurse and I'm not here...

Quoting Precious333:

At one year old, all mine still.had breastmilk.as their main source of nutrition, although i know thats not what everyone does. If you are.gone and she is one, you do not have to leave milk if you choose not to, however, if you are gone for a lonf period.of time you may become engorged, and that can cause issues in itself. Also, it depends on her as well, she may miss nursing too. Weaning should be gradual and there is nothing wrong with nursing well passed one yrs old either or if you have to leave for a time thats fine too. Did that answer your question?
trendy2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Oh okay I had not heard the nurse after meals after one. That does make sense. I don't want to stop nursing that's not why I'm asking. I just only know people (my mom included) who nursed to one year and weaned. I don't know how long we will go but I want her to become a little more independent without me. I haven't left her more than an hour and only about five times since she was born. She has had a Bottle of BM maybe 3 times. Right now I have a 3 hour window to be able to run do anything before I have to be back to nurse. She is still up every 3 at night and sometimes like last night every hour. She's teething too so I'm sure that's part of it.

Quoting polkaspots:

From a practical standpoint I would wait until you can leave her and trust that she will eat when hungry and drink when thirsty. She doesn't need to eat or drink much as long as she drinks some water to keep hydrated, but it's much easier if they eat. The child is in a better mood, whoever is watching them is in a better mood...
One thing is, most people suggest nursing after meals once they hit the first birthday. That's what I did, I stopped insisting on nursing before meals about a week after his first birthday to help him eat a bit more.

Oh and we use a straw cup too, much easier. He sits upright to use it and doesn't spill it all over the place like he did with the sippy cups. It takes a while to master it, but like you I was only giving him water in it anyway.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting trendy2:

Oh okay I had not heard the nurse after meals after one. That does make sense. I don't want to stop nursing that's not why I'm asking. I just only know people (my mom included) who nursed to one year and weaned. I don't know how long we will go but I want her to become a little more independent without me.
That's a function of time and time alone; you could lose both breasts right now and she never nurses again and still be equally dependent. Or you could just GO... the other issue here is the Wimpy Caregiver Phenomenon. **grin** 
I haven't left her more than an hour and only about five times since she was born. She has had a Bottle of BM maybe 3 times. Right now I have a 3 hour window to be able to run do anything before I have to be back to nurse.
You don't, really. The caregivers have to learn to cope. And try a cup instead of a bottle. Often the biggest mistake is use of a bottle, if you can believe it! 
Mine was "dependent" when I was homee. But I worked 60 hour weeks and he took what was given.
She is still up every 3 at night and sometimes like last night every hour. She's teething too so I'm sure that's part of it. 
Yep. It absolutely is. And every three hours actually isn't that frequent... mine could swing from hourly to once a day at that age. 
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I understand you're not trying to wean her now. My son is a few months older, so I understand wanting to be able to be away for a few hours. Like I said, you could do it now. You could go out shopping for the day and she would be fine from a nutritional standpoint as long as she drank some water and ate a bit of food. But it would be much easier on her and whoever she's with if you can wait until she starts eating more. I don't mean nursing less, I just mean eating more. Once they can sit down with a small meal and a cup, they can go much longer without mommy happily. The bottle is a bad idea now, but I see the point you were making. Teething does cause more frequent nursing, but my point was you will be able to leave her without incident (for the most part) once she's eating reliably. My son nurses every 2-3 hours during the day, always has. But if I'm gone for a few hours he eats and drinks enough to be content and not starving all day (unless somebody gives him cookies, then he stuffs his face) and just goes back to nursing when I get home.

Quoting trendy2:

Oh okay I had not heard the nurse after meals after one. That does make sense. I don't want to stop nursing that's not why I'm asking. I just only know people (my mom included) who nursed to one year and weaned. I don't know how long we will go but I want her to become a little more independent without me. I haven't left her more than an hour and only about five times since she was born. She has had a Bottle of BM maybe 3 times. Right now I have a 3 hour window to be able to run do anything before I have to be back to nurse. She is still up every 3 at night and sometimes like last night every hour. She's teething too so I'm sure that's part of it.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I think the hardest part of leaving at hat age would be her missing you (depending in personality and if she is use to the people she is staying with etc.)

Quoting trendy2:

I plan to for the most part let her self wean but I would like to have the freedom to run out for a bit for appts, etc and not worry about her if its "time" for her to nurse and I'm not here...

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)