Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

increasing supply for toddler during pregnancy?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 14 Replies
i am 15 weeks pregnant. my nursling is 24 months. since i became pregnant, i have noticed my milk supply has slowly started to decrease. i am not eating well due to nausea, but i am taking prenatals and drinking plenty of water. i am not sure if the decrease in milk supply is due to hormones or due to lack of energy my body can use [my daughter is not slowing down nursing!]..either way, i would love to get it back up so i can start pumping extra milk for my daughter and the new baby. is it even possible to increase milk supply when it is diminishing due to hormones?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovey_J
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump!
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Pregnancy hormones will typically dry a supply up.  I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything you can do about it.  

twogirl91
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

My son was 8months old when I got pregnant again and by the time I was 17weeks along and he was hitting his first birthday he was loosing weight because my milk was almost completely gone. As soon as I gave him more solids and a sippy cup he weaned himself within the week. I don't know if it was due to hormones or me being so sick, I myself had lost 10lbs and could barely keep anything down. Good luck!

wolfybaby
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM

i was fearing this. :[ 

i told my ob this and she blew me off and said to me dismissingly, "well i guess she will need to be weaned soon!"

she is not ready!

Quoting jackiewal10:

Pregnancy hormones will typically dry a supply up.  I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything you can do about it.  

wolfybaby
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

im sorry that happened to you! your son was so young, too. i guess i am lucky that i have an easy pregnancy compared to what it *could* be like.. but i just have no appetite whatsoever, and i have an aversion to eating in general due to this ever-present nauseous feeling. it sucks.

i really hope i can get my supply back because my toddler is very picky with not *what* she eats but *how much* she eats. since i became pregnant, she has slipped off of her growth chart because she wont eat actual food. she is not ready to wean!

Quoting twogirl91:

My son was 8months old when I got pregnant again and by the time I was 17weeks along and he was hitting his first birthday he was loosing weight because my milk was almost completely gone. As soon as I gave him more solids and a sippy cup he weaned himself within the week. I don't know if it was due to hormones or me being so sick, I myself had lost 10lbs and could barely keep anything down. Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

The only thing you can take during pregnancy is More Milk Plus Two, which is specifically for pregnant nursing moms.

You can also eat oatmeal and drink more water.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Sorry mama.  You (and she) may not have a choice.

Quoting wolfybaby:

i was fearing this. :[ 

i told my ob this and she blew me off and said to me dismissingly, "well i guess she will need to be weaned soon!"

she is not ready!

Quoting jackiewal10:

CafeMom Tickers

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Sorry there's not much you can do (other than what gdiamante said)

However you don't have to wean her. DS has nursed through my pregnancy - I'm 37+ weeks now - he reduced nursing quite a bit when I dried up & increased his nursing when I got colostrum.
wolfybaby
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

will my body make enough colostrum during pregnancy and also after baby is born for both my toddler and the newborn?

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Sorry there's not much you can do (other than what gdiamante said)

However you don't have to wean her. DS has nursed through my pregnancy - I'm 37+ weeks now - he reduced nursing quite a bit when I dried up & increased his nursing when I got colostrum.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Yes, your body will make enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)