Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok to nurse if

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM
  • 16 Replies
I have a stomach flu?

I thi k the bug that's making its way around work has finally hit home with me. I have terrible stomach cramping and have been up for an hr now. I don't want to pass it to my little one
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elzmnsf
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Nurse nurse nurse. If you are showing symptoms, then you have been exposed long enough to start fighting the bug and your lo has been exposed too. You will pass on those antibodies when you nurse. Concentrate on being super hydrated though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Muse012
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Ty. I'm trying to drink water, so nauseous though. I'll keep nursing

Quoting elzmnsf:

Nurse nurse nurse. If you are showing symptoms, then you have been exposed long enough to start fighting the bug and your lo has been exposed too. You will pass on those antibodies when you nurse. Concentrate on being super hydrated though.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Yes keep nursing. When DD was just under a year old everyone in my house had it. DH and I had it for 4 days and because I was still nursing DD and pumping I gave some milk to DS1 also. DS1 had it for 2 days and DD had it just under 24 hours. It's like giving them a double dose of antibodies (yours + what their bodies are making) so if they catch it, they won't have it as long.
Muse012
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Thank you for the info. I just feel blah

Well, a mommys work is never done. Off to the jobby job

Quoting shortyali:

Yes keep nursing. When DD was just under a year old everyone in my house had it. DH and I had it for 4 days and because I was still nursing DD and pumping I gave some milk to DS1 also. DS1 had it for 2 days and DD had it just under 24 hours. It's like giving them a double dose of antibodies (yours + what their bodies are making) so if they catch it, they won't have it as long.
schultzal
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I've protected 2 babies by breastfeeding when wicked flus tore through my house (2 different episodes). The babies were the only ones spared. I was scared they'd get sick from exposure to the whole family but I was able to protect them.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Well, I must make lousy antibodies. :) I never protect the infants from what I have and it never seems shorter . They always get hit pretty hard. BUT, I am always thankfu lI nurse. They generally keep the breastmilk down ,or most of it. They continue to nurse while sick, and staying hydrated is never a problem!! I know many moms of bottle fed babies that worry quite a bit about hydration when littles are sick. With breastmilk ,that has never been an issue for me!!

Hope you feel better soon.
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
It is better for baby, they may skip the flu!
Hope you all feel better!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
YES in fact its better because it will maintain supply
twogirl91
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I had a horrible virus that lasted for a week and ended up in the hospital, I nursed my son the whole time. He did get it but he didn't get it like I did, just threw up once and ran a low fever. The best thing to do is to nurse, you will pass antibodies to him. Just try and keep hydrated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)