Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Night Weaning HELP!!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am 23 weeks pregnant and I know I should have done this earlier, but I am trying to night wean my 2 year old. All he wants to do is nurse at night. He falls asleep while nursing, and wakes up 1-2 times, sometimes more a night and won't go back to sleep without it. I can sometime get him back to sleep without nursing if I sing to him, but that only lasts for so long because he will just wake up a little while later.

He has co-slept with my DH & I for his whole life so far, but for the past week I have been staying in his room with him to start getting him used to sleeping in there before baby arrives. (I will not be co-sleeping this baby)

Any advice ladies?!

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Have daddy take over the nights. This way your DS will be distracted enough that he may go back to sleep.
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Can I ask why you aren't cosleeping with this baby?

We cosleep right now but not the whole night. Ds starts off in his bed, in our room every night - then whenever he wakes up he comes to our bed and finishes the night in there. It works perfect for us.

ETA: sorry - I don't know anything about weaning, ds is our only and he'll be 6 months on Sunday. Good luck with it though! I hope you get some awesome advice.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Dad gets night duty. Seriosuly, the only way to make it happen before he's ready is for you to disappear from his world at night.

mama_carmel
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
This is baby #3 for me. #2 for DH. I co-slept with DD, but that was after me and her dad spilt and we were sharing a room. So her first year she was in her crib.
But with DS, he was in our bed since birth and because of that, DH thought It was safer if he would sleep in the other room as to not roll over onto DS at night. And then that's how it was for over a year.
I love co-sleeping, but I feel that if I am going to get new baby to sleep through the night like I was able to with DD, then he will not be able to be in my bed. Plus, I miss the intimacy between my husband and I while sharing a bed (cuddling) lol.

We just felt it's best that we no co-sleep this time around. And I will also be pumping a little to be able to store and also so DH can help with night time feedings.

Quoting Momma2013:

Can I ask why you aren't cosleeping with this baby?

We cosleep right now but not the whole night. Ds starts off in his bed, in our room every night - then whenever he wakes up he comes to our bed and finishes the night in there. It works perfect for us.

ETA: sorry - I don't know anything about weaning, ds is our only and he'll be 6 months on Sunday. Good luck with it though! I hope you get some awesome advice.

mama_carmel
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM
This would only work for when he wakes in the middle of the night. DH is a cook an mostly works every night. So I have to be the one to put DS to bed.

Quoting gdiamante:

Dad gets night duty. Seriosuly, the only way to make it happen before he's ready is for you to disappear from his world at night.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you would have better success if you only make one big change at a time. Instead of trying to night wean AND stop co sleeping, just do one of them for a couple weeks. I did the night weaning first and then moved my dd to her own bed. It worked beautifully. Since you have already moved him to his own room this week, keep doing that for another week or 2 and continuing to nurse. Then start night weaning.

ETA- Really you're initiating 3 changes instead of 2 now that I re-read it. You are moving him to his own bed but still sleeping with him. So the second change will be you disappearing from his side at night. You might want to night wean first before leaving him to sleep alone, otherwise you'll have to do those 2 things at once. All kids are different though and what will work for some might not work for him.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yep this is what I was going to say. You are trying to do too many things at once. One change at a time is best for small children. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

I think you would have better success if you only make one big change at a time. Instead of trying to night wean AND stop co sleeping, just do one of them for a couple weeks. I did the night weaning first and then moved my dd to her own bed. It worked beautifully. Since you have already moved him to his own room this week, keep doing that for another week or 2 and continuing to nurse. Then start night weaning.

ETA- Really you're initiating 3 changes instead of 2 now that I re-read it. You are moving him to his own bed but still sleeping with him. So the second change will be you disappearing from his side at night. You might want to night wean first before leaving him to sleep alone, otherwise you'll have to do those 2 things at once. All kids are different though and what will work for some might not work for him.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
One change at a time. We nightweaned when I was about 6 weeks along, then moved him to his own bed about 3 months later.

Just have to talk to him, nursies go night nights, etc... Then pat, sing, talk him to sleep. He'll adjust.

Also, never say never about the newbie. You being exhausted with three kids isn't good either. Some babies sleep fine alone, some don't.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
One change at a time. My ds nursed to sleep or at bedtime before laying down long after he nightweaned and slept in his own room. That was his last feeding to go when turned 3.

Could you sidecar the crib for the new one? We don't cosleep with infants at our house and mine didn't sleep through the night in the first year regardless of what they were fed or where they slept.

Quoting mama_carmel:

This would only work for when he wakes in the middle of the night. DH is a cook an mostly works every night. So I have to be the one to put DS to bed.

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)