Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st birthday!!!... One year of BF... Teething ... vitamins... supplements .. ahhh...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi Ladies!!!

My little man is a toddler now. Last Saturday July 27th Ander turned 1 year old. He keeps nursing like a champ and taking his 3 bottles of breast milk while at daycare.

Well, 2 weeks ago he had some virus infection (mouth's blister or something like that) SO and I took him to his pedi. She said he was pretty good, and took that appointment as his 12 months check up (but it was a sick visit). 

Pedi was concerned because he weight 19lb 2oz  and was 27.55"(he was 19lb and same leight at his 9months appt). She asked and I told her he is eating ok, he is not eating too much as she wants him to, but I think it is ok. She gave him a multivitamins and a supplement to increase his appetite, but I won't give it to him.

This week he has been teething, so he has been having fever. My mom is on vacation so she is taking care of him, she says he eats little amounts but he does eat, and he takes his bottles, takes natural juices my mom makes him, and at night he nurses a lot and also takes some bits from my plate.

Do you think I am doing something wrong here or that I should give him the supplements? 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Just offer foods often that are naturally high in fats. Cheeses, yogurts, avacado, etc. My son was 19-5 at his twelve month visit and his doctor was concerned also but I am not. He is active and happy and is beginning to eat more on his own. Hr is walking and putting phrases together at 13 months so I know he's not malnourished. He's just small.

Eta: my son did grow a little in height between nine and twelve months. A half of an inch.
turttlemom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM

It is a relief. I introduced yogurt last week and he loved it. He also can eat almost a whole avocado on his own, also loves Lents, beans and chicken, he has been feeding himself and now can use a spoon and gets it into his mouths most of the time, I know he is happy setting aside the teething, he has just the 2 bottom tooth, and now the 2 upper ones are cutting at the same time :( 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Just offer foods often that are naturally high in fats. Cheeses, yogurts, avacado, etc. My son was 19-5 at his twelve month visit and his doctor was concerned also but I am not. He is active and happy and is beginning to eat more on his own. Hr is walking and putting phrases together at 13 months so I know he's not malnourished. He's just small.

Eta: my son did grow a little in height between nine and twelve months. A half of an inch.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Multivitamins and a supplement to increase his appetite? Why would anybody want to increase a one year old's appetite? 19 lbs isn't underweight for a one year old, so I don't understand the concern. I do understand wanting him to eat more, but at one he should just be starting to get food before milk. Until his birthday he was still supposed to be getting most of his nutrition from milk. I would keep doing what you're doing, but switch that bottle to a cup with a straw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turttlemom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Thanks!!! Yes, he is know getting better on the cup, he is not throwing it all, so I'm planning on switching it very soon, I just don't want him to waste the breast milk, since I'm pumping just once a day now and don't have a big stock. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Multivitamins and a supplement to increase his appetite? Why would anybody want to increase a one year old's appetite? 19 lbs isn't underweight for a one year old, so I don't understand the concern. I do understand wanting him to eat more, but at one he should just be starting to get food before milk. Until his birthday he was still supposed to be getting most of his nutrition from milk. I would keep doing what you're doing, but switch that bottle to a cup with a straw.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I get that. You can give him water in the cup in addition to the milk in his bottles. He doesn't need to drink the water, but it won't interfere with his appetite for milk or food. And it won't stain or make a mess when it dribbles out of his mouth. He can take the time to learn how to use it without wasting your milk.

Quoting turttlemom:

Thanks!!! Yes, he is know getting better on the cup, he is not throwing it all, so I'm planning on switching it very soon, I just don't want him to waste the breast milk, since I'm pumping just once a day now and don't have a big stock. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turttlemom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Yes!!.. hehe.. I bought him the fancy Anvent cup that is like a open cup, but he didn't like it, he is almost mastered on the conventional sippy cup, but the straws are like drump sticks to him, the take them out, I need to find one that works for him. I feel better now, I didn't buy the supplements because I don't want to stuff him with something he doesn't need.
Quoting polkaspots:

I get that. You can give him water in the cup in addition to the milk in his bottles. He doesn't need to drink the water, but it won't interfere with his appetite for milk or food. And it won't stain or make a mess when it dribbles out of his mouth. He can take the time to learn how to use it without wasting your milk.

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I only buy munchkin straw cups until the get better with the regular straws. They have a valve in the straw so the liquid comes out slower.
Unfortunately dentists are saying drop the sippy and bottle by one, so I just skipped the sippy cup in general.

He really only needs the supplements if he starts to become deficient in something. And you'd find that out through a blood test, not from someone's opinion of not eating enough.
Quoting turttlemom:

Yes!!.. hehe.. I bought him the fancy Anvent cup that is like a open cup, but he didn't like it, he is almost mastered on the conventional sippy cup, but the straws are like drump sticks to him, the take them out, I need to find one that works for him. I feel better now, I didn't buy the supplements because I don't want to stuff him with something he doesn't need.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM
He doesnt need multivits..your milk is the multivits. What kind of supplement are they saying to up his appetite? whats the name? He sounds great honestly and doctor just sounds ignorant
turttlemom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I'll look for them this weekend, I think I have seen that brand on the grocery store (not too easy to find good stuff here in Mexico, and since my mom is in town, don't think I will go to US soon)
Quoting polkaspots:

I only buy munchkin straw cups until the get better with the regular straws. They have a valve in the straw so the liquid comes out slower.
Unfortunately dentists are saying drop the sippy and bottle by one, so I just skipped the sippy cup in general.

He really only needs the supplements if he starts to become deficient in something. And you'd find that out through a blood test, not from someone's opinion of not eating enough.
Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Most big stores have them, toys r us, Walmart, target, buy buy baby. I bought the first one from diapers.com I think. I have no idea what stores you have in Mexico though, never been there.

Quoting turttlemom:

I'll look for them this weekend, I think I have seen that brand on the grocery store (not too easy to find good stuff here in Mexico, and since my mom is in town, don't think I will go to US soon)

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)