• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could it be the 4 month growth spurt??

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am a ftm and my little girl has been sleeping through the night since she was 7 weeks old. (I am super lucky and blessed!!) The past couple of days she has been fighting sleep HORRIBLY, and last night she woke up in the middle of the night for a feeding. I am pretty sure she is hitting her 4 month growth spurt- she will be 4 months old on Aug 9.

I am a little bit concerned because I work and pump, and it seems like my supply is actually taking a dip right now. Is it because she is eating more often right now? I am hoping this evening/the next few days to be able to nurse her as much as she wants when we are together to see if this will help my supply go back up.

My mom is suggesting starting some rice cereal to see if that helps her (i can't see how that will help my supply, but I can see how it would help her feel more satisfied and sleep better), but I plan on checking with our pediatrician at her well baby check on the 14th.

Any advice is welcomed!!! Thank you!
baby girl

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Why do you think your supply has dropped? Has she been having less diapers? You should always be nursing on demand when you're with her, especially since you're working and pumping.
Rice cereal is garbage. Please don't give it to her, she can't digest it and it will just take up space in her tummy. You should never give a four month old food.
About the sleeping, she was not going to continue sleeping through the night. I'm sorry to say, that was a phase. She's fine. Make sure you're pumping every morning and frequently enough while Youre at work and your supply will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like 4 month growth spurt and supply regulation.  Supply is fine..pump output decreases at 4 months 6 months and around 9-10 months...its normal.  Supply is FINE.

NO rice cereal, not now and NOT ever!  BF babies shouldnt have rice ceral and NOT at 4 months anyways.  Its ful of carbs, carbs are sugar, sugar doesnt help sleep.  Its a big myth and usually doesnt hepl, it makes matters worse.  Pediatricians dont have training in BFing or nutrition for that matter so not a good person to ask.

Keep on nursing and pumping like normal, you may find you need an extra pump session with this regulation..it sucks, but supply is FINE

sm12
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately sleeping well from that age does not guarantee they will continue it.  Babies go through different sleep  phases especially around the time of growth spurts.  Not sure why you think your milk supply is decreasiing but when you are home nurse as often as possible, you don't have to wait for baby to ask for it, just offer it to her as much as your can.  This could still help your supply, in addition you can take 'mother's milk Plus tincture or mother's milk tea to help.  At 11 weeks pp I started my menstrual cycle and at the time I did not know until I mentioned it someone but every month I had my cycle my son would  not nurse, he wanted to and would latch on but would fuss and stop.  My cycles affected the taste of my milk which doesn't happen to everyone but I was so worried he would stop nursing so I would just spend the days at home with no top and do skin to skin and that helped a lot.  But by then i was on CD 2-3 so milk taste was probably normal.  So when you are home you could try this to get her to nurse more and it is such an awesome bonding time.  As for cereal, you are right it's not going to do anything for your supply but maybe make it worse because if baby is full then she definitely will not nurse more!  Also wheat really is bad for babies or for anyone but especially at her age. It has no nutrition value and I tried it with my son but he was already over ten months at the time and it did  nothing for him so i stopped it. FYI my son just turned three and only started sleeping through the night about 3-4 months ago.  I know it is hard but baby will sleep through the night eventually when she is ready.  just think of this phase as it all being part of parenting.  I know reading about other people's babies sleeping through the night from 6 weeks doesn't help!

flippinyellow
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I agree with the cereal- I don't want to give any to her! I just wanted some confirmation that I was right in thinking this way. I was thinking my supply has dropped a little because I haven't been pumping quite as much at work the past 2 days as usual, but it's only lacking by a couple of ounces- nothing too drastic. I have just added in pumping in the morning to make up for it, that seems to be working well. I will just keep it up, and not worry!! I am kind of sad to hear that her sleeping through the night might have been a phase. I do not do well waking at night when I have to work 40 hour weeks! It is all worth it though to provide for my baby! Thanks everyone!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Yeah pumping doesnt show supply, pumping output tends to go down overtime..sucks really
flippinyellow
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

She slept through the night again last night and seemed more herself. Thanks for all of the advice! I love bf, but I am pretty sure it is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!! Thankfully it is super beneficial for all parties involved!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)