Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of 4 week old needs your help

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM
  • 9 Replies

This is from the welcome post-please give her advice.

Quote:

Hello ladies, my name is Krystal. My son is 4 weeks tomorrow. Yay! I joined this group for advice and help with my breastfeeding issues. 

I was only breastfeeding until last week (when he was 3 weeks) I  started express pumping. He never seemed to get full from the breast. He wanted to eat every hour for 15 mins. he only wanted one breast dispite my efforts to introduce the other and he would always fall asleep after 10-15 mins even after I burped him.  Now I only breastfeed once a day and give him the expressed milk every 2 hours.  My supply seems to be fine and its been a week. Every 4 hours I pump and get 6-8 ounces total. He usually eats 3 ounces at every 2 hour feeding even at night. 

Advice would be great!

If I only express pump will I be able to keep up the supply for 6 months?

also, the 2 hours feedings at night is rough on top of the pumping. When will his feedings slow down? I try to sooth him at night but it doesn't work. He only gets more angry until I feed him. I heard rice cereal can be given with the milk.  When can I add the rice cereal to the milk to hold him over.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maybe80
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Quote:

Hello ladies, my name is Krystal. My son is 4 weeks tomorrow. Yay! I joined this group for advice and help with my breastfeeding issues. 

I was only breastfeeding until last week (when he was 3 weeks) I  started express pumping. He never seemed to get full from the breast.toally normal He wanted to eat every hour for 15 mins. he only wanted one breast dispite my efforts to introduce the other and he would always fall asleep after 10-15 mins even after I burped himagain very normal...this is neededto mantain supply.  Now I only breastfeed once a day and give him the expressed milk every 2 hours.  My supply seems to be fine and its been a week. Every 4 hours I pump and get 6-8 ounces total. not pumping often enough!! If you want to maintain supply you MUST pump every 2 hours daytime and every 3-4 hours nighttime no matter how great uotput is.  These early weeeks set supply for later oneHe usually eats 3 ounces at every 2 hour feeding even at night. thats not bad at all and this should not increase

Advice would be great!

If I only express pump will I be able to keep up the supply for 6 months?only if you pump more often..and even then its hard

also, the 2 hours feedings at night is rough on top of the pumping. When will his feedings slow down?they could tomorrow or they could never... I try to sooth him at night but it doesn't work.dont do that..feed himHe only gets more angry until I feed him.right because he needs to eat, BM is digested in 90 minutes so he needs to eat oftenI heard rice cereal can be given with the milk.  no no noWhen can I add the rice cereal to the milk to hold him over.NEVER, rice ceral should never be added to bottles, it should never be given to BF babies at all and it shouldnt be given to limit feedings ever no matter the age. 

WHat it sounds like is you have been given unrealistic expectations about what its like to nurse a newborn.  Its tough the first 2 months, its a constant thing to feed and baby always seems starved.  They are supposed to act this way so that they nurse to build early supply.  Its the first 2 months that really sets the stage for success in breastfeeding.  If you want to continue to only pump you MUST do it more often, more for the stimulation than the output...you are pumpig awesome amounts now.

I think you are and were doing better than you thought.  Go to kellymom.com and read about nursing your newborn and what to expect.

sm12
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I'm not the best person to be giving advice as my son nursed every two hours like clock work even at night until he was about 4 months then it was every 3 hours.  I never really pumped in the beginning but if you are pumping 6-8oz at a time it woudl seem that you could keep up but one thing I learned is in the beginning like now if you pump more frequently like evry two hours then you will produce more milk and this will actually set teh standard for you for later one.  You will be basically setting your limit now for the future. Do you understand what I am saying?  As your son gets older he will want more milk but you maynot have enough fo rhim so it is better to pump more frequently now and even if you slow down by the time he is four months your milk supply woudl have been established.  You could also nurse him at every feed on the side he likes and at the same time pump from the other side.    It is advisable to always let baby nurse then finish off by pumping.  By trying the above you will also have enough for night feeds.  I don't know when he will go longer between feeds at night because every baby is different.  First my son would only nurse 10 min but at five weeks dropped to 5 min and only did one side.  lactation consultant said it was a little early for him but he was just an efficient nurser.  I did find that with my son he did better, i.e. he nursed longer if i nursed him more frequently so during the day I would nurse him every 1.5hour and he nursed longer and from both sides.  WRT to cereal your baby is still too young and you will get a lot of opinions on this.  it is best to wait until baby is atleast 5-6 months.  Also we tried everything with my son to get him to sleep longer including cereal in his bottle but this was when he was older than 9 months but nothign worked for him.  So again every baby is different.  Good job on you for deciding to breastfeed.  My advice would be to either get the La Leche League Book called The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' or attending their meetings or better still doing both.  You will get a lot of support and free advice and meet a lot of new people and make friends for you and baby. Good luck!

mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Exactly this!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Quote:

I was only breastfeeding until last week (when he was 3 weeks) I  started express pumping. He never seemed to get full from the breast.toally normal He wanted to eat every hour for 15 mins. he only wanted one breast dispite my efforts to introduce the other and he would always fall asleep after 10-15 mins even after I burped himagain very normal...this is neededto mantain supply.  Now I only breastfeed once a day and give him the expressed milk every 2 hours.  My supply seems to be fine and its been a week. Every 4 hours I pump and get 6-8 ounces total. not pumping often enough!! If you want to maintain supply you MUST pump every 2 hours daytime and every 3-4 hours nighttime no matter how great uotput is.  These early weeeks set supply for later oneHe usually eats 3 ounces at every 2 hour feeding even at night. thats not bad at all and this should not increase

Advice would be great!

If I only express pump will I be able to keep up the supply for 6 months?only if you pump more often..and even then its hard

also, the 2 hours feedings at night is rough on top of the pumping. When will his feedings slow down?they could tomorrow or they could never... I try to sooth him at night but it doesn't work.dont do that..feed himHe only gets more angry until I feed him.right because he needs to eat, BM is digested in 90 minutes so he needs to eat oftenI heard rice cereal can be given with the milk.  no no noWhen can I add the rice cereal to the milk to hold him over.NEVER, rice ceral should never be added to bottles, it should never be given to BF babies at all and it shouldnt be given to limit feedings ever no matter the age. 

WHat it sounds like is you have been given unrealistic expectations about what its like to nurse a newborn.  Its tough the first 2 months, its a constant thing to feed and baby always seems starved.  They are supposed to act this way so that they nurse to build early supply.  Its the first 2 months that really sets the stage for success in breastfeeding.  If you want to continue to only pump you MUST do it more often, more for the stimulation than the output...you are pumpig awesome amounts now.

I think you are and were doing better than you thought.  Go to kellymom.com and read about nursing your newborn and what to expect.

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Might I add that my cousin formula fed from a week on and her son still woke every two hours at night until nine months old for a bottle... even with rice in his bottles. So this isn't even just unrealistic expectations of nursing a baby, it's unrealistic expectations for a baby period. Babies have nasty habits of setting their own schedules and parents just have to adjust. *Hugs* the newborn stage doesn't last forever.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

All normal behavior. Nursing every hour at 3 weeks is normal. Babies nurse a lot in the first 3 months.  Count diapers.  6 a day and you're fine.  Don't give cereal!  It is very dangerous for breastfed babies.  Just nurse, nurse, and nurse.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SchmidtyBaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I agree with all of the above. I tried to keep feedings to every 2 hs. My thought was "if I feed her and then she still cries, then something else must be wrong such as wet diaper, gas, not producing milk, etc." i was wrong and nursing on demand is the way to go. (When mom isn't around such as for work this is totally different.) I didn't cosleep b/c it made us nervous and I got no rest. She slept in a cradle next to the bed. On a good night she slept 4 hs straight before waking to nurse. This finally changed to about 8 hours straight last month and she is now 17 mos. sleep when baby sleeps. Find some awesome movies and books because you might spend lots of time sitting and nursing for the next few mos. good luck!
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Jenn, Krystal made a separate post too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I thought so!

Quoting gdiamante:

Jenn, Krystal made a separate post too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)