• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solids

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Lexi is 6 1/2 months and meets all the requirements for solids. She's been sitting up for almost two months, doesn't push food out with her tongue, and has her pincher grasp down really well. She can even put the spoon right in her mouth. She's tried avocado and steamed broccoli so far and loved both. So I think we are ready to occasionally give her solids (after nursing of course).
So I'm googling the top organic baby foods because I don't always have time to make my own so I just wanted some on hand. I come across a site (updated this year) saying babies are "ready for solids between 3-7 months and if baby refuses just keep trying. Persistence is the answer! They might even come to like baby food more than mamas milk!"
How is it with all the information out there about solids that this website could get it so wrong. Just irritated me 😡
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Its sad how bad some sites are!

That being sad...forget spoons and making baby food..just do baby lead solids and no purees! Its easier and you wont need to buy much extra of anything

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I know! It's sad. It only takes one google search to get accurate info yet they spread wrong info.
She can pick up small pieces pretty well. I just worry she may choke :( my first is two and still chokes on water lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

That being sad...forget spoons and making baby food..just do baby lead solids and no purees! Its easier and you wont need to buy much extra of anything

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Just give food you're eating.  (:  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
There's a difference between gagging and choking. Gag is a natural reflex that babies have to keep big things out of their throats. Most of the time they get it out on their own. If not, then that is choking.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I know. Callie used to choke. Constantly. She refused to mash her food and just wanted to swallow it. Even with things like pea sized chunks of avocado or banana. She's given me lots of mini heart attacks. Lol

Quoting Junebaby18:

There's a difference between gagging and choking. Gag is a natural reflex that babies have to keep big things out of their throats. Most of the time they get it out on their own. If not, then that is choking.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Make foods large long pieces and baby can use the fist to hold them and take bites...prevents choking..remember gagging is normal, they have to learn hwo to move food around int he mouth

Quoting nocalmegan:

I know! It's sad. It only takes one google search to get accurate info yet they spread wrong info.
She can pick up small pieces pretty well. I just worry she may choke :( my first is two and still chokes on water lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Quoting nocalmegan:

Did you have to ever do the heimlich on her?
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Many times. We used to not buckle her in her high chair if she was eating with us because her straps were hard to unbuckle in case we need to do it. The first time I was in a panic and i swear it took me forever to get them unbuckled and get her out. That was at about 8-9m.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Did you have to ever do the heimlich on her?

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM
DS is the exact same way. He is 15 months and refuses to chew! He chokes daily!!

Quoting nocalmegan:

I know. Callie used to choke. Constantly. She refused to mash her food and just wanted to swallow it. Even with things like pea sized chunks of avocado or banana. She's given me lots of mini heart attacks. Lol

Quoting Junebaby18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM
It's really frustrating! Callie is 2 now and I still watch her like a hawk if she's eating chips or something because I can't always trust her to chew it correctly!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

DS is the exact same way. He is 15 months and refuses to chew! He chokes daily!!

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)