Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is he just plateauing?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

I wrote a few weeks ago about how my son's ped and lactation consultant were concerned about his weight gain. I haven't really been worried since he keeps getting longer and his head is growing and he is meeting all milestones AND he is crawling like a mad man lately. I'm just a worrier by nature and wanted some double reassurance that all is well and I'm not the crazy one. He'll be 8 months old tomorrow.

Weight history:

• birth- 7# 15
  • lowest-7# 6
  • 5 day- 7# 10
  • 1 month- 10# 12
  • 2 month- 12# 12
  • 4 month- 14# 14
  • 6 month- 16# 12
  • 6 month +1 week- 17# 4
  • 7 month- 17# 9

The blue vs green are the two scales they use at the doctors office, blue is digital, green is manual. From the six month to the 7 month he went from rolling to crawling like a fiend. I also had an oversupply and overactive let down that seems to have let up some. On a side note, he is really long for his age- 90+ percentile since birth and his weight percentiles have been dropping since 4 months, which is why they were concerned. I figure he is just tall and skinny.

This is the little guy a few days ago- looks pretty normal sized to me:

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

NORMAL gain is 1lb per month, your LO has gained way more than that..no one should be concerned at this point

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

That is what I keep reminding myself when I start worrrying, drives me nuts that they put those thoughts into my head. Aside from this I have no complaints with the doctors office- they are pro-breastfeeding (have IBCLC on staff) and seem to be really good with my son. I just wonder why they are worried, it seems crazy to me.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

NORMAL gain is 1lb per month, your LO has gained way more than that..no one should be concerned at this point

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Weight is great, increases at every appt and exceeds 1 lb/month. :-) no worries!! The gain in the first 6 months is usually greater then it slows down, thank God, because if he gained 10 lbs in his *second* 6 months that would put him at nearly 30 lbs at one year!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My peds office has an IBCLC on staff too but shes fast to say to give formula!! In fact I found out she takes kickbacks just like the doctors do!

Quoting Smokeygirl:

That is what I keep reminding myself when I start worrrying, drives me nuts that they put those thoughts into my head. Aside from this I have no complaints with the doctors office- they are pro-breastfeeding (have IBCLC on staff) and seem to be really good with my son. I just wonder why they are worried, it seems crazy to me.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM
He's gained 10 lbs in 7 months? That's 3 more than he needs to be.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM
The IBCLC takes kickbacks from the formula reps?!? Talk about a conflict of interest. :-(

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My peds office has an IBCLC on staff too but shes fast to say to give formula!! In fact I found out she takes kickbacks just like the doctors do!

Quoting Smokeygirl:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Sounds perfect to me!
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone, I knew he was growing perfectly- I just hate it when the "experts" put doubts in your head. If I didn't have everyone here to reassure me I would have been more worried. Goes to prove that educating yourself is the only thing you can do.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Yep!! :)

Quoting Junebaby18:

He's gained 10 lbs in 7 months? That's 3 more than he needs to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)