Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 days Breastfeeding! How will my diet effect my milk??

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

First, I need to say I am so grateful for this group. My first post you were so helpful and encouraging. That is why I'm back. 

My milk is in really good by now and my daughter is getting filled up well! She has her good and fussy days. Most nights are spent nursing every 2hrs but not fussing. Which is great. 

My problem is with myself and MY diet. Since last week I have gone down 15lbs (Im sure some of it is water weight). I am losing weight so fast. I have GI problems to begin with so I have to stay away from spicy, saucy, meaty, greasy, dairy, a lot of stuff makes me sick. So, when I'm having issues, I try to eat bland food and veggies, oatmeal, and my favorite PB&J. I don't have time to prepare anything due to Baby On Boob and I've been having my son make me PB&J all weekend. But I seriously think my daughter had a terrible reaction to it. She was screaming and farting horribly all Sunday night, thru Monday. Finally yesterday AM she went poop and hasn't been upset since. I also haven't had any Peanut Butter. 

I'm not going to be upset if I can't have one of my fav foods (peanut butter). But, with my diet restrictions, what can happen with my milk quality & supply? I can not eat meat. I can handle plain chicken on occasion. I take prenatals and drink A LOT of water. I'm sure tomorrow I can talk to our Pedi about it. They are very pro breastfeeding.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Bump
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
The quality of your breastmilk will never be compromised. It will take from your stores before the milk is poor quality. The way you are eating is very healthy. Mom's that are starving in Africa made excellent milk for their babies too.

Do you have overactive letdown/oversupply? Does baby choke or gag when your milk comes out?

sm12
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

as long as you are eating and rinking enough this will not affect your supply.  I would suggest eating more fruits and veggies, as much as your can handle to make up for things you cannot eat.  not sure if you are a fan of soy food but they are high in protein but not sure if they will affect baby because soy can be gassy.  When I nursed I went to Sprouts a local health store and got an enzyme to take before or with meals that helped breakdown gassy foods, it was more for baby than me.  You could try something similar or ask them about some supplement that you could take since your diet is so restrictive.  You could also make alist of foods you can eat  that will be fine for baby and try to stock up on them. That it will be easier to go to your list than sit and think about what you can eat. Good Luck, You're doing a great job with nursing!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Quoting Junebaby18:

The quality of your breastmilk will never be compromised. It will take from your stores before the milk is poor quality. The way you are eating is very healthy. Mom's that are starving in Africa made excellent milk for their babies too.

Do you have overactive letdown/oversupply? Does baby choke or gag when your milk comes out?

kajira
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
take pro biotics to help. Drink protien shakes or ensure.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm also wondering about oversupply/over active letdown. #1 suspect for fussy, gassy babies.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Can you handle cultured dairy, like yogurt, at all? What about almonds?
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No issues for supply, actually. My breastfeeding mentor was on a severely restricted diet where she couldn't eat much more than oatmeal, chicken, rice and veggies because of her daughter's digestive problems.

Nursed her to age FOUR.

Wate is the primary building block, so keep drinking it.

maybe80
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I can eat yogurt. Thanks fire the reminder. I'm not a fan of almonds, but I can try.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Can you handle cultured dairy, like yogurt, at all? What about almonds?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)