Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sudden decrease in milk help!!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
So I have been breastfeeding my son for ten months and the past two weeks my milk has drastically decreased with no apparent reason why. My son is nursing the same amount of times in one day, still nurses at least once a night if not twice a night. But when I pump at work (5-6 times, 10-15 minutes each time) I now only get around 6oz (all together) when I used to get 12-16 oz. My son only drinks between 8-12oz in a 9 1/2 hour period while I am at work. What could be going on? I am on no medication, drink plenty of fluids, drink lactation tea, coffee (2 small cups), plenty of food, get around 5.5-7 hours of sleep, eat lots of oatmeal...I don't know what else to do as power pumping isn't really an option
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojojen86
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Bump
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Could just be normal supply regulation. Do you also pump every morning, including days off? What kind of oatmeal are you eating? How many cups of the lactation tea are you drinking a day?

Also hold off on bumping your post until an hour or 2 after posting. In this group the mods work from page 2 or 3 forward to page 1, so for faster answers you want to be at least on page 2. ;)
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Also any chance of pregnancy or period return?
jojojen86
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Yes, I have just gotten my first period after having my son but it has lasted three weeks. I don't think I am pregnant I am on the depo shot. Also thank you, I didn't realize I should wait to bump the post :)
jojojen86
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I haven't pumped on days off, didn't realize I should. I have been drinking two 8 oz cups of the lactation tea, and I eat instant oatmeal

Quoting shortyali:

Could just be normal supply regulation. Do you also pump every morning, including days off? What kind of oatmeal are you eating? How many cups of the lactation tea are you drinking a day?

Also hold off on bumping your post until an hour or 2 after posting. In this group the mods work from page 2 or 3 forward to page 1, so for faster answers you want to be at least on page 2. ;)

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM
The packets of instant oatmeal won't really help your supply. You want either steel cut oats or you can try quick oats. Also with the tea, for me to notice a difference in my supply I need to drink 3 or more cups a day. Periods can lower supply. By pumping in days off it will give you a little cushion for the days when you only need an oz or 2.

Quoting jojojen86:

I haven't pumped on days off, didn't realize I should. I have been drinking two 8 oz cups of the lactation tea, and I eat instant oatmeal

Quoting shortyali:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Supply regulation, this is common at this point..start giving more solids and water and leave what you can pump and pump like normal at work...maybe add a session at home in the mornings
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yeah to maintain pump response I always recommend once a day pumping

Quoting jojojen86:

Quoting shortyali:

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Is the depo new?
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM

The depo may be the problem. We've seen issues with it in the past. It may also have caused the continual bleeding.

If the depo is new I'd blame it and not get any more shots. It also means no mini-pill or Mirena... they all have the same hormones. You;d need to go non-hormonal.

Quoting jojojen86:

Yes, I have just gotten my first period after having my son but it has lasted three weeks. I don't think I am pregnant I am on the depo shot. Also thank you, I didn't realize I should wait to bump the post :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)