Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

poor supply

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

Up until a week ago I had a great supply.  Then I got sick with a sinus infection and have been taking an antibiotic and am now feeling much better, however, my supply has dropped a lot.  My dd is still getting enough to eat based on wet diapers throughout the day, but will only be satisfied for 20 to 30 minutes after feeding for 20 to 30 minutes.  She's constantly seeming to be hungry :(

I had some milk stored in the freezer for when I'm working on the weekends but I've had to use that and now I have no extra milk.  When I pump I'm lucky to get an ounce now whereas before I could usually get between 5 and 8 ounces when I'd pump.  I'm going to work for a 6 hour shift on Saturday and I'm afraid I'll have to have my SO feed my dd some formula because I have nothing for him to feed her.

I don't know what to do to bring my supply back. She's nursing at least every hour, I'm trying to drink a ton of water and eat well.  Beyond that I'm feeling so frusterated that I used to have so much milk for my baby girl and now I can barely feed her :(  Any advice would be wonderful.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Try pumping one side while nursing the other for the next few days. By chance were you also taking a decongestant? Those tend to kill supply because they are meant to dry up fluid, the pills don't target only your sinus, they do everything. Try eating a bowl or 2 of regular oatmeal a day (not instant) and stay hydrated. Your supply should go back up.
Also normal pump output is .5-2ozs total for a missed feed. How big were the bottles baby was getting? Bottles should be no bigger than 3ozs given every 2.5-3 hours when your gone.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
If her diaper count is good, she's getting enough. How old is she? It is also possible she's in the middle of a growth spurt. The best way to bring your supply back up is to nurse as often and as long as she wants. And the amount you were pumping was 5-8 times above normal. Your pump response has normalized, but pump response is not a good indicator of supply. The diaper count is.
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I took day-quil a couple times but other than that no cold medicine.  My dd is 9 weeks old and before she was getting 4oz bottles every 3 hours approximately because she'd cry constantly until she got 4oz.  My SO and MIL would try feeding her 3oz but she'd keep crying until she got at least 4.  She's only in the 25th percentile for weight so I didn't figure she was eating too much and now she's constantly fussing like she's not getting enough to eat :(

Quoting shortyali:

Try pumping one side while nursing the other for the next few days. By chance were you also taking a decongestant? Those tend to kill supply because they are meant to dry up fluid, the pills don't target only your sinus, they do everything. Try eating a bowl or 2 of regular oatmeal a day (not instant) and stay hydrated. Your supply should go back up.
Also normal pump output is .5-2ozs total for a missed feed. How big were the bottles baby was getting? Bottles should be no bigger than 3ozs given every 2.5-3 hours when your gone.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Quoting rachellaree20:

Two ounce bottles are better at her age, fed with the slowest flow nipple, bottle held parallel to floor, and burping after each ounce, with baby held as upright as possible. However, at this point I would just nurse her on demand to bring your supply back up. Bottles won't help at this point, suckling will.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Sounds like your LO is hitting a growth spurt, your supply has regulated and you gave bottles when you shouldve nursed so it hurt supply.  Take some fenugreek and drink extra water to raise pump output a bit but really supply is fine..pump extra to have enough for work...you can pump between nursings everytime for the next few days

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM

At her current age I'd expect her to never seem satisfied. "Satisfied" is really a dirty word used in conjunction with babies. 

If the dipe count is good supply is perfect. But be ready for her to inconsiderately outgrow everything. You're describing growth spurt behavior.

Your pump ouytput was actually unusually high. Half an ounce to two ounces is normal. The drop would have happened regardless of the illness. She will need six ounces while you're gone. That's all.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ahhh. Those big bottles probably stretched her tummy out. Know how people get used to eating super-sized meals and then a kid's meal seems like it's nothing? Same principal at work here.

Make sure they know to feed her SLOWLY. One ounce, burp. One ounce, burp. Bottle held parallel to the floor,. slowest flow nipple. One feeding should take a LONG time... 20 minutes or thereabouts.

And they need to find other methods of comforting than food.

One more thing to file away: Percentiles mean nothing so you can ignore 'em. They merely plug your baby in to a chart compared to other babies with no regard for anything but the numbers. Not really useful info, you know? 

Quoting rachellaree20:

I took day-quil a couple times but other than that no cold medicine.  My dd is 9 weeks old and before she was getting 4oz bottles every 3 hours approximately because she'd cry constantly until she got 4oz.  My SO and MIL would try feeding her 3oz but she'd keep crying until she got at least 4.  She's only in the 25th percentile for weight so I didn't figure she was eating too much and now she's constantly fussing like she's not getting enough to eat :(

Quoting shortyali:

maggiemom2000
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

No more DayQuil or anything with a decongestant in it. That can kill your supply.

Dont take milk from the freezer if you are home. Just nurse, nurse, nurse!

The truth is that if you had not been pulling milk from the freezer, and just marathon nursed, your supply would be higher right now.

Rest, hydrate, nurse, and pump. Hang in there!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

YEP

Quoting maggiemom2000:

No more DayQuil or anything with a decongestant in it. That can kill your supply.

Dont take milk from the freezer if you are home. Just nurse, nurse, nurse!

The truth is that if you had not been pulling milk from the freezer, and just marathon nursed, your supply would be higher right now.

Rest, hydrate, nurse, and pump. Hang in there!

rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice!  Sorry I didn't get back to the thread sooner :(

I'm pretty sure she was going through a growth spurt because she's barely fitting into some of her clothes that used to be a bit loose on her!  My little baby is growing up so fast 0.0

She's still nursing just fine and having plenty of wet diapers and I haven't had to give her any formula.  I've managed to pump 6.5 oz for when I'm working on Saturday but don't have enough for Sunday yet.  I want to avoid formula if at all possible and so far so good.  I pump during work so I'm hoping to get enough on Saturday at work for my shift on Sunday!

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice!  I really appreciate it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)