Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help/advice

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm getting divorced, and my DD is only 6 months. This is the longest I've made it BFing with any of my 4 babies, and I am not ready to quit. I'm going to have to go back to work after being a SAHM for 5 years. And i don't respond well to a pump. What can I do? :(

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Work on building up pump response!!!

Get donor milk?

Nurse together supplement when away?

reverse cycle?

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Define "don't respond well." What do you get? And what pump, used when? This will help us out.

Now, if all else fails, you can nurse at home and do formula at work. But let's see what can be accomplished first.

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM

What is reverse cycling?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Get donor milk?

reverse cycle?

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Well, if I try and pump on a regular feeding schedule, I get little to no output, usually less than an ounce combined. the only way I get enough for her to drink is if its been hours since I pumped and i begin to get engorged, then i can get a few ounces. My pump is unfortunately a cheap, evenflo, single electric model. I don't have the funds to purchase a really good double one currently. And I have no insurance to help pay for one. :(

Quoting gdiamante:

Define "don't respond well." What do you get? And what pump, used when? This will help us out.

Now, if all else fails, you can nurse at home and do formula at work. But let's see what can be accomplished first.

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Reverse cycling is when baby takes next to nothing all day and makes up for it when mom's home. A lot of babies do it naturally, and it's not at all unhealthy.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

What is reverse cycling?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Get donor milk?

reverse cycle?

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Well, if I try and pump on a regular feeding schedule, I get little to no output, usually less than an ounce combined. the only way I get enough for her to drink is if its been hours since I pumped and i begin to get engorged, then i can get a few ounces.

And that's not something you should do because the less you pump the less you'lll get. Pump WHILE nursing, baby one side and pump on the other. Half an ounce to two ounces is normal output. Baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

No matter WHAT you get, pump every couple of hours. The more you do the more you'll get.

My pump is unfortunately a cheap, evenflo, single electric model. I don't have the funds to purchase a really good double one currently. And I have no insurance to help pay for one. :(

Do you have WIC? You can get a pump that way. It's quite possible you'll qualify. 

I'd hand express before using an Evilflo. You may well get better output.

Another option is to rent a pump; it costs more in the long run but if you can carve out about $40 a month it will be less expensive than formula.

GoodyBrook
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Have you looked into WIC?  If you qualify--and as a single mother, currently unemployed, you should--they'll either give you a loaner pump or give you one to keep.

It's a great program to look into!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Well, if I try and pump on a regular feeding schedule, I get little to no output, usually less than an ounce combined. the only way I get enough for her to drink is if its been hours since I pumped and i begin to get engorged, then i can get a few ounces. My pump is unfortunately a cheap, evenflo, single electric model. I don't have the funds to purchase a really good double one currently. And I have no insurance to help pay for one. :(

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)