Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How much should I send to daycare?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 16 Replies
Aubrey is going back to daycare about a week after her first b day. She will still be nursing while we are together. How much breast milk should I send her? I am weaning off the pump but have a freezer stash.
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Over a year old?  What else will she be eating at daycare, and when? How long will she be at daycare?  In general I would start with (if a full day) about eight or nine ounces, then as you cut back on the pumping cut back on the amount you are sending by a few ounces and have daycare replace it.  That is how I did it with ydd, she is two and a half now, still nursing, I had completely cut pumping by eighteen months.

birdiemom
by Allison on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM
How much does she eat? I stopped pumping after DS's 1st birthday because he ate enough table food while I was gone to warrant ditching the pump! He is still nursing strong with me at nearly 18 months.
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Her time in daycare varies, her longest day will be 8 hours. And it will go something like this...

6 am wake up and nurse
8 am breakfast at daycare (table food)
12 pm lunch at daycare (table food)
Between 2-3 snack either at daycare or with daddy depending on his schedule
Nurse when I get home at around 4-5
Dinner around 6
Nurse before bed

Quoting preacherskid:

Over a year old?  What else will she be eating at daycare, and when? How long will she be at daycare?  In general I would start with (if a full day) about eight or nine ounces, then as you cut back on the pumping cut back on the amount you are sending by a few ounces and have daycare replace it.  That is how I did it with ydd, she is two and a half now, still nursing, I had completely cut pumping by eighteen months.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Oh, and she nurses 1-2 times at night and I don't plan on night weaning just yet.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Her time in daycare varies, her longest day will be 8 hours. And it will go something like this...

6 am wake up and nurse

Dinner around 6

Nurse before bed

Quoting preacherskid:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Okay so start with eight ounces going, then (this is how I did it) the week before you reduce a pump session, reduce the amount of milk you send by an ounce or two.  How old is the frozen?  You can go through the frozen first, or save it until you have finished pumping and send that along until you/daycare has completely finished with bm at daycare.  Good luck, I know from experience it is hard to find a good daycare like yours and mine that will go along with bm after a year old :) 

You can also (if you haven't already) transition to a straw cup or open cup during this period.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Oh, and she nurses 1-2 times at night and I don't plan on night weaning just yet.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

6 am wake up and nurse

Dinner around 6

Nurse before bed

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Thanks! She uses a straw cup already:)

Quoting preacherskid:

Okay so start with eight ounces going, then (this is how I did it) the week before you reduce a pump session, reduce the amount of milk you send by an ounce or two.  How old is the frozen?  You can go through the frozen first, or save it until you have finished pumping and send that along until you/daycare has completely finished with bm at daycare.  Good luck, I know from experience it is hard to find a good daycare like yours and mine that will go along with bm after a year old :) 

You can also (if you haven't already) transition to a straw cup or open cup during this period.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting eagerforbaby:

6 am wake up and nurse

Dinner around 6

Nurse before bed

Quoting preacherskid:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I didn't send any breastmilk with my kids after a year. They just ate solids and drank water while we were apart and nursed when we were together. Any breastmilk you want to send will just be a bonus!

MomOfFur
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My son started daycare when he was 13 months old. He would have two 4 ounce bottles a day--one before each nap. He was drinking water (out of sippy cups and camelbak water bottles)  by that time as well as eating solids well. Shortly after he started, we found out we were expecting our second child. I weaned off the pump and started using freezer stash and mixing with almond milk, eventually getting to all almond milk. We then started mixing whole cow's milk with almond to get to whole milk only. 

Wow-- I haven't heard of a daycare not allowing breast milk after one year. As long as the bottles are pre-made, mine has no issues with it. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I dumped the pump at one year, so no breastmilk when I was at work. Just nurse at home, water or cow's milk (mostly water) when I wasn't. He wasn't big on cow's milk.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Its up to you, if you WANT to send the stored milk then see how much you have and think about how long you want to have it last and divide it up that way.  I personally stopped sending milk when I didnt pump anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN