Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What milk choice worked for you?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 33 Replies
My daughter is beginning to wean and I was wondering what milk alternative worked for you; almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or a combination. She is 17 months and does great eating veggies and fruits. I would just like feedback on what worked for your little one.
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM
We use mostly coconut cow and almond. That being said its rarely if ever a drink. Only for cooking/cereal.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this
None of those is a good source of protein, only coconut milk is a good source of fat. They really shouldn't be used to replace breastmilk or cow's milk because they're only a convenient source of calcium. That said, at our house we did full-term breastfeeding and now do almond milk because of dairy allergies. I use it for cooking and the boys drink maybe 1 or 2 cups per week.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Mine was unimpressed with milk. Water for hydration, everything else came from the foods he was eating.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Almond milk.  Very rarely, I buy coconut milk.  I like it better for cooking.  But milk is rarely served as a drink in our house.  It's used in cereal or oatmeal or for cooking.  Milk (any kind of milk) after a child is weaned is not a necessary staple in a person's diet.  All nutrients you can get from milk, you can get from other sources. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM
In my house we drink water. Like gdiamante, we had everything covered by foods we ate, and my kids eat plenty of cheese, yogurt, ice cream. Kale, almonds and broccoli also kick in some calcium. My kids put milk in cereal but don't *drink* it.
twogirl91
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Coconut milk and almond milk for my oldest son.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Coconut is my favorite!
QueenNeshama
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Thank you ladies for the feedback! I greatly appreciate it :-)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM
My older kids drink cows milk, my 3 year old refuses all milks but mine
sm12
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My son is dairy intolerant so we do Almond milk and almond yogurt but this along with rice milk don't have a lot of fat which is hat kids need until 4 years for their brain to develop.  Coconut would be  abetter choice from the three as it has more fat in it.  If you choose to give almond or rice you could make sure to add other food groups which has health fats like avocados.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)