Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you do babyfoods AND breastfeeding?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 24 Replies
My DD is only 3 months, but I'm curious as to how the whole baby foods and breastfeeding works. Do you feed her solids then breast milk for every meal? Breast milk then solids? Breast milk only at certain times and then baby foods at certain times? Thanks guys!
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Always breastmilk before solds before the age of 1.

sweetieiv
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Good questions. I can not answer them because i have no idea so i will give you a bump. I need to know this too lol.
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Breast feed immediately before solids every time before the first birthday. It is like desert, no meal then no desert.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Yep always bf first under a year old. A lot of moms do baby led weaning/solids which involves no "baby food" at all. Maybe something you want to look at?
coffeemom37043
by Dare on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

What do you mean before the first birthday?

How many times a day should I do solids?

Quoting xredstarsx:

Breast feed immediately before solids every time before the first birthday. It is like desert, no meal then no desert.

mommy2Kailey
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

google baby led weaning wink mini and yes, breastfeed than offer food. we are going to start around 6 months or so.  under 1..just for fun!!!

lulu_tattoos
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We just let him have a little of what we're having if he shows interest. And if its something he can eat (soft veggies, meat that I can crumble or shred, occasionally fruit).

We don't do it "by the book" but he's not getting enough for it to matter. Food before one is just for fun :)
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Always nurse first until after the first birthday. Offer solids only once daily until around 9 months and add a second offering, then a third offering at the first birthday. Until a year their nutrtion needs to be from breastmilk or formula if bottle feeding. Solids are not digested well until after a year of age, so they are basically only meant to introduce new tastes and textures. We do baby led solids with our kids, purees are not needed. If baby is ready for solids, they need to be solid, not watered down versions of them:)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Breastmilk first, solids after in year one. Solids are an afterthought.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Until he turns one, he's not to have solids without nursing first. He may have solids as many times a day as you care to give them but they must always follow a full nursing. (And he may not want them that much; that's OK.)

Solids are dessert. Nutritionally they're not really important for him; the milk is. 

A breastfed child could get ZERO solids in year one and be far bettter nourisehd than his peer who gets three square meals of solids a day and no breastmilk.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

What do you mean before the first birthday?

How many times a day should I do solids?

Quoting xredstarsx:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)