Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dh said I will have to stop breastfeeding ds EDIT

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 33 Replies
When we get pregnant again. Nathaniel is 5 months old and we are planning on ttc baby #3 after his first birthday. I have tried to explain tandem nursing to dh, but he is convinced that the new baby won't get what they need if I nurse both. Help me ladies. I don't want to stop nursing Nathaniel when we have another baby. How do I explain to him about tandem nursing? I need good information and lots of it.

Edit

Thank you all for the information and support. Dh and I talked. He is all for tandem nursing. His biggest concern was when we had another baby that he/she wouldn't get enough milk. He was also concerned with breastfeeding during pregnancy. He thought it would be dangerous to the baby and that I would miscarry. He is a lot more comfortable with tandem nursing now. He did say that ultimately it was my choice since it is my body that would be going through it all.
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apgsteenmommy
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Just do what you want to do. You will make as much milk as needed. It's your body not his
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
6 moms liked this
First off, get the book "adventures on tandem nursing"

Second, tell him that sex can have the same effect as.nursing my baby, so if you have ti stop nursing than you should probablt stop having sex.

Third, this is an area where my husband
doesnt get a say, when I wean is between me and our child. Its a relationship between you and your child.
twogirl91
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I know 4 different women who tandem nursed there children. They were able to breastfeed their entire pregnancy, although a couple of them said their milk supply did drop, their child still comfort nursed. I nursed until I was 17weeks pregnant, but my milk did dry up, I was so sick I couldn't keep anything down and lost 10lbs, my son started losing weight as well and didn't have enough diapers a day. When I gave him a sippy cup he weaned in a week and had no more interest in nursing. It was also really rough because my nipples got really tender, so it was pretty painful those last months. It can make you lose your supply, but there are a lot of women who are very successful with it. I would just educate yourself as much as possible and encourage your husband to learn with you. 

tarakay0417
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I will have to find that book. Dh has been my biggest supporter with breastfeeding but for some reason he thinks a new baby won't get what they need. Especially the colostrom. I told him I didn't know how that worked but that both babies would get what they need. Hopefully he will come around soon.

Quoting Precious333:

Second, tell him that sex can have the same effect as.nursing my baby, so if you have ti stop nursing than you should probablt stop having sex.

doesnt get a say, when I wean is between me and our child. Its a relationship between you and your child.
tarakay0417
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I plan on tandem nursing, I just want his support. Kwim?

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

Just do what you want to do. You will make as much milk as needed. It's your body not his
Yurixsi
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk to him tell him your looking for his support . Honestly I think it is wrong for you just to say it is your choice only because it is your body. He also helped make the baby. He will come around if you talk to him.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk will return back to colostrum before the birth of the new baby. Your body knows exactly how to allocate resources exactly where they're needed, when they're needed. The new baby WILL get that super colostrum. And your older baby will help bring in a great supply. No baby will be short-changed. :-)

Quoting tarakay0417:

I will have to find that book. Dh has been my biggest supporter with breastfeeding but for some reason he thinks a new baby won't get what they need. Especially the colostrom. I told him I didn't know how that worked but that both babies would get what they need. Hopefully he will come around soon.

Quoting Precious333:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
That book.will help then :)

When you tandem.nurse, baby in your belly is given whats first. You milk will actually decrease and change into colostrum, but thats ok. The only worry some doctors have are if you are high risk for preterm labor, and need to go on bedrest, then weaning would be necessary. Other than that its ok. I have nursed while pregnant three times (actually more) and tandem nursed two babies once. There are many moms here who have done the same.

You can get that book from www.llli.org or amazon :)

Quoting tarakay0417:

Quoting Precious333:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Colostrum is not made in a finite amount by your body.  It is produced until your milk comes in, which is a process that is begun by your placenta detaching from the wall of your uterus.  You will have plenty for both babies.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Just remind him about supply and demand. And your ds will most likely be almost two when the next one is born, same as me. He won't be relying on your milk for his primary source of nutrition. Mine still nurses a lot, but also eats 3 meals and snacks every day. Yours will probably be doing that too by the time your next one is born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)