Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

At what age will you allow your kids to watch tv?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

At what age will you allow (or did you allow) your kids to watch tv?

My first two watched it around 9 months. My third watches on the rare ocassion.

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
My first child we were able to avoid.TV for years! Second and third child it is more of a challenge.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I dont sit my kids down in front of it but usually around a year they notice its on because of music and stuff

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Keep in mind my oldest is 11 and he was very high needs, the TV was the ONLY thing that would entertain him long enough for me to pee without him screaming so he watched it pretty young

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
We only have tv on to watch movies. With my oldest he was probably 2 before he would sit and watch them. If nobody is watching, it gets turned off.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Ugh, my son is five months and twists his whole body just to see the tv. I hate it, we've been going outside when its not too hot but he watches the tv when its off too. Lol. (Reflection I guess)
armywife2408
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM
My older daughter started showing interest around 2 years old. She would much rather be outside than watching tv. The baby is only 3 months so obviously doesn't watch it.
3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My son, only after two other than the rare occasion that there was tv on when we went places. When my daughter was born, the tv was on a lot more for my son because of EBF and not being able to entertain him myself since she nursed frequently in the beginning. With her, she started watching occasionally after age one, but it didn't hold her attention long. Now that I am nursing my second daughter, it feels like the tv is on all the time. I hate it. I try to only have it on kid shows for a few hours in the morning and then if we have it on in the afternoon we put it on music stations (NOT music videos, just music with still pictures of the artist singing). My kids still get lots of sunshine and physical activity and are at healthy weights, but I hate that my two year old knows how to turn on the tv with the remote and that "watch tv" is in her vocabulary. There are days that the tv is never turned on @ all, but as a mom of three under the age of six, that just doesn't seem feasible every day.

CafeMom Tickers
mom22boys333
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

We don't have TV...just dvd's or stuff we burn but both started fairly young just b/c dh and I would be watching a super-hero related cartoon....they would both rather be outside or listen to music than sit in front of the tv so it's okay.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Meh...

Birth? Lol.

No, seriously - I have no set in stone rules about when to allow television...

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Never bothered to restrict. Worst that can happen, he'll work in TV news like mom! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)