Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Csection & Breastfeeding advice?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
My bff has to have a csection & she really wants to bf. I was wondering if there was any tips from other moms who had to have a csection? I will be at the hospital when she gives birth to help with bfing and I want to be able to help & give the best advice possible to her.
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM
3 moms liked this

There is no difference.  You BF the same way you would with a vaginal delivery.  Some moms need to start with a football hold to keep the baby off the incision site.  Some moms don't.  I always just used the craddle hold.  I have had 2 c-sections and you just do everything the same way.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep anyone away from her who is not supportive of her nursing, wants to limit it or wants her to use formula. Avoid any kind of pacifiers or artificial nipples. Help her keep her baby as close as possible. Pillows will help with positioning. Remember that diaper count should be one on the first day, two on the second, etc. Through the first week. Come here with any questions, and read on kellymom.com.
PaulaJo1980
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I just had my 3rd c section July 5. This one was the most desirable outcome, although it had been 4.5yrs since my last one. 

Anyway, I was adamant about having skin to skin ASAP. While getting sewed up, my son was lying on my chest. Then, getting him to the breast as quick as possible was my next mission. At 720, he was born, and I was in recovery and nursing him skin-to-skin by 7:55. It's all about the skin contact and nursing immediately. My milk was fully in 45 hours after his birth.

1 month later, he nurses like a champ. Good luck to your friend!

Zazayam
by Nicki on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Bumping, I have a pregnant friend that's also looking at a c-section. She didn't BF her first and says the c-section made things too difficult, might be a book or something out there to help.

emkirkley
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with football hold if cradling is uncomfortable, stay on top of the pain, the meds will be fine especially since they get so little actual milk in the first week, keep up good eating and drinking habits because that really helps supply.

valrubio
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It isn't too much different. I always use pillows to keep baby off incision area.

twogirl91
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an unplanned c-section with my second son. The only difference was they wouldn't let me hold him right away, and he was in the nursery for a hour. My husband stayed with him and made sure they didn't give him any formula. When I got to see him I took his clothes off, did skin to skin and breastfed him. He was actually easier to breastfed than my vaginal birth because after 40hours of labor I was exhausted and barely had the strength to hold him. 

Oh and take as many pain meds as they will give you, like seriously. Makes things so much easier when you are out of pain.  

NHGal
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I know with my first c-section, it was at the end of a manual version and induction, my milk took a while to come in - almost a week and there was lots of crying.  Without the support of my husband I would have quit. 

My 2nd section - I went into labor on my own and attempted the VBAC, but didn't happen.  My milk came in right away.

This is just my thoughts and if I have it wrong, someone please correct me, but since I told my body when it was time to have the baby the first time, I didn't get all the good labor hormones and my body wasn't ready to produce right then or get the signal to produce.  I did skin to skin in the OR with my first and nursed within the first hour.  My 2nd labor started on its own and while it did end in the repeat section, I was able to have all the cues from my body that it was time to start making milk.  With my 2nd section, I was put all the way under and didn't nurse for over 2 hours after she was born.  I made my wishes known that she was not to have formula before I was awake and my husband knew that as well.

Like a PP said, take your pain meds on the schedule as prescribed, at least for the first week and then wean off of them.  If your friend is in pain she won't be able to get in the right frame to nurse.  I found that My Breast Friend was the easier nursing pillow to use in the beginning and then I switched to a boppy (got the breast friend at a resale shop and bought a new cover for it).

pinkfairy0206
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Exactly:) I've had 4 sections and although with my first I didn't really know what I was doing,I got through it. Same with my other 3. She'll known what to do once it happens.

Quoting jackiewal10:

There is no difference.  You BF the same way you would with a vaginal delivery.  Some moms need to start with a football hold to keep the baby off the incision site.  Some moms don't.  I always just used the craddle hold.  I have had 2 c-sections and you just do everything the same way.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Use football hold when breastfeeding. That takes the pressure of baby off the insicion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)