Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding a late preemie

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
I breastfed my first daughter (born at 38 weeks) until she was almost 14 months, she weaned herself slowly. This pregnancy has been a little bit more rough, though, and I am terrified that I might not be able to breastfeed her because of difficulties. They are giving me between 36-38 weeks and I am 34 weeks today. I received my first steroid shot for the baby's lungs today and I will receive the next one tomorrow. I pray she is strong enough to latch on because I know how beneficial milk is to our babies and I would love to boost her health with it. Has anyone had a later preemie that had difficulties latching on (what did you do) and I also want some positive feedback if your child did very well too! Thank you!
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My ds was born at 35 weeks. And the main problem I had was he was sooooo sleepy. It was really hard keeping him awake at the breast. I ended up having to pump for 15-20 min every 1.5-2 hours. And supplementing with my own milk. He grew out of it pretty quickly though & has been nursing good for 15 mos now. My other advice is please stay on top of the nurses in the nicu they love giving formula! Make sure you are verry clear with them about your plan on breastfeeding. Ask for a lactation consultant & a pump after the delivery. And stay with your baby as much as possible. Skin to skin if possible after delivering helps the baby stabilize better. It helps stabilize blood sugar & improves your baby's score. Plus it helps your milk. Congrats & good Luck!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask if it is at all possible that you be allowed to latch her on. Do lots of skin-to-skin with her--kangaroo care. If it is necessary, ask to use the hospital pump if your baby is not allowed to nurse right away. As that any feeding not at the breast be given by syringe rather than bottle. There should be links on nursing preemies in the resources sticky, and also information on kellymom.com.
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I nursed my 30 weeker after she came home. She was 34 weeks 3 days gestation when she came home. She was ebf by 36 weeks gestation. She was getting bottles of my pumped milk while in the NICU. The topped off with a bottle of my pumped milk at home until she could nurse everything she needed.

At the NICU in order for baby to go home they must eat all feeds from a bottle for 72 hours. At least here. The NICU should let you try and nurse before every feeding. Just tell them you want to bf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I had my twins at 34w2d. The hospital was piss poor in breastfeeding support. Crappy pediatrician who had her own bias against breastfeeding, and nurses who kept insisting on bottles. Then, because of the bottle, one of them got nipple confusion and wouldn't latch. 

But even with all that, I was able to work with him to get him to latch. It took me almost 2 months to get him to latch. But, once he latched, we never looked back! So, even if you do run into problems they can be overcome. 

Dmyers5
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM

wow, thank you all for your support, I am grateful and I love hearing of all of the accomplishments. My hospital was very supportive with my first daughter and the LC's were there immediately to make sure all was well. They were very hands on to show me stuff (knowing how I was then because I didn't like being touched, this was actually comfortable for me because I have to be shown, not told). I know of many nurses that think it is ok to throw in a pacifier or bottle of formula for my child, but I will clarify that personally, I do not want that crap in my baby.. =) Thank you again, I will keep my head up and I am sure baby girl #2 will be here soon!! YAY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)