Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick baby?! Vomiting vs spit up???

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 8 Replies
Caroline is 4 months old & EBF. Last night, she spit up a ton when she was on our bed. Like, give her a bath & change the sheets.

She did okay through the night, but she did sleep longer.

This morning, she had a smelly diaper! Usually they don't smell bad, but this one did. Her poo was thicker than normal and lighter in color.

Then, as I was nursing her, she stopped & spit everywhere!! Like, three times in a row. She drenched herself, the boppy, the bed & me. It was not a little. It was more than I've ever seen any baby "spit up" -- she's my third & I'm really concerned at this point! She had to spit more than what she took in.

What is the difference in a baby spitting vs vomiting? Should I be incredibly concerned? She doesn't have a fever. She is rubbing her eyes & she's only been awake for an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Radellia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Honestly I don't know! For my son (who's almost 6 months), I just keep him hydrated! Keep checking for fever, keep breastfeeding... Aside from that I suppose you could make an appointment with her doctor if your really concerned, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Idk what they would do either. I also don't know at one point she would *need* to be seen.

Quoting Radellia:

Honestly I don't know! For my son (who's almost 6 months), I just keep him hydrated! Keep checking for fever, keep breastfeeding... Aside from that I suppose you could make an appointment with her doctor if your really concerned, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM
At a point where she is dehydrated or running high fever. Just keep an eye on her and keep nursing! Hope she feels better!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'd say you're at the vomiting stage. I wouldn't be "incredibly" concerned, but it's worth a call to the doc. Who will likley tell you to give pedialyte (DON'T) and watch her.

Keep nursing. Best thing you can do for her.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM
The day has progressed & it's definitely vomiting!! It's bad & she breaks my heart. She also has diarrhea. My older two have never been this sick so young, so it's scary. I'm continuing to nurse her, but she just throws it all up after. How few diapers would make you think dehydration?

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd say you're at the vomiting stage. I wouldn't be "incredibly" concerned, but it's worth a call to the doc. Who will likley tell you to give pedialyte (DON'T) and watch her.

Keep nursing. Best thing you can do for her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Her required count for today is 4-5 changes in 24 hours.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Keep nursing. Every little bit helps and likely more is staying down than you think, even if its just an ounce or two. Breastmilk is a million times gentler on the system than water, pedialyte, or formula. The doctor can't do anything but manage dehydration so keep an eye out for that. I've had 4 kids get raging stomach flus but we've never seen real dehydration. It's ok if the baby just wants to sleep more and not eat; the body is trying to put resources into fighting the virus and doesn't want to be bothered with much digestion. Keep offering, though. Hope it's a quick bug.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Sounds like a stomach virus. Offer smaller but more frequent feedings. If she spikes a fever, call the doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)