Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

did i do something wrong? please help.

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM
  • 35 Replies
I am a working mom so I have to pump while i am working and save it in the fridge so that my baby can drink it the next day while I am working. Anyway so today was my day off and I went to the fridge to get something and i noticed my breast milk looked odd so I took it out and decided to dump all 3 bottles. All 3 of them were from milk i pumped yesterday and all 3 i had stored in an insulated bag with a big pack of ice for a few hours then it went directly in the fridge. I put the bottles inside a plastic open tupperware in the center of the fridge. I always do that and never had a problem. The milk today looked separated as always does but this time the bottom portion looked light green instead of whiteish clear and the top portion looked thick and creamy. It always looks separated the next day but today what threw me off was the light green color. I didnt want to take a chance so i dumped all 3 bottles out. Is the color normal? I did not eat anything out of ordinary. Yesterday I had a tuna sandwhich for lunch at work and an aloe juice. I am scared that i did something wrong and my milk got spoiled. Any suggestions would.be appreciated. Thanks
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Koux
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM
3 moms liked this
A little change in color is normal. Breast milk comes in many shades of "white". It can be blue, yellow, green, pink... I've seen it all, and it's all ok. It changes slightly with your diet, nothing to worry about. You just don't see the changes in color when it's straight from the tap. :)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
The color is normal, you didn't have to dump it. Breastmilk comes in many colors, as long as you know it was kept and handled properly you shouldn't be concerned. I've had blueish, greenish, and pinkish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Thank you ladies. Now i feel bad for dumping it and silly because here I am at 11pm pumping so i can leave something for my baby since i work tomorrow. i just felt odd and dumped it immediately.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Next time you're concerned, look it up first. The worst that can happen is it sits around for five minutes first.
:) since you have a deadline to meet, eat some oatmeal. It can help you pump more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Yeah I learned my lesson. thanks for the advice. I actually started pumping earlier today so i am almost done with my ideal amount to leave for my dd. I have one 4oz bottle and i am working on one 6 oz right now. Tomorrow before work i just have to pump 4 more ounces as a back up or incase she is extra hungry.

Quoting polkaspots:

Next time you're concerned, look it up first. The worst that can happen is it sits around for five minutes first.

:) since you have a deadline to meet, eat some oatmeal. It can help you pump more.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM
She's not getting that much at once right?

Quoting sweetieiv:

Yeah I learned my lesson. thanks for the advice. I actually started pumping earlier today so i am almost done with my ideal amount to leave for my dd. I have one 4oz bottle and i am working on one 6 oz right now. Tomorrow before work i just have to pump 4 more ounces as a back up or incase she is extra hungry.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:03 AM
no but i do like to leave more than enough for back up. She is 3 1/2 months. She only takes about 2oz then she stops and burps sometimes she is still fussy so her dad gives her the other 2oz then she can go on fof about 3-4 hours and she wants to eat again. She has never eaten all of the milk I leave. I pump every 3 hours at work or else my breast start to hurt. How much should she be getting?

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting sweetieiv:

Quoting polkaspots:

AngryBob
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:08 AM

aw, sweetie, i'm sorry you got scared about that!

i think you are so awesome for doing the best that you can for your precious daughter.

i know it's kind of weird because we've never actually met, but i have extra milk in my freezer if you need any. i promise i won't go crazy weird creeper stalker on you.

i'm too lazy for that ;)

shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM
You want to leave 1-1.25ozs per hour away. Bottles no bigger than 3ozs given every 2.5-3 hours.

Quoting sweetieiv:

no but i do like to leave more than enough for back up. She is 3 1/2 months. She only takes about 2oz then she stops and burps sometimes she is still fussy so her dad gives her the other 2oz then she can go on fof about 3-4 hours and she wants to eat again. She has never eaten all of the milk I leave. I pump every 3 hours at work or else my breast start to hurt. How much should she be getting?

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting sweetieiv:

Quoting polkaspots:

sweetieiv
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Aw thanks. I'm ok with pumping whike at work so I think that we are good in supply lol. But we should anyway do a meet up. Trust me any stalker would give up on me because my life is just not so exciting right now.

Quoting AngryBob:

aw, sweetie, i'm sorry you got scared about that!

i think you are so awesome for doing the best that you can for your precious daughter.

i know it's kind of weird because we've never actually met, but i have extra milk in my freezer if you need any. i promise i won't go crazy weird creeper stalker on you.

i'm too lazy for that ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)