Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He doesn't understand cluster feeding!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 17 Replies

DS will be 3 months old on Sunday, and we're definitely gearing up for/in the middle of a growth spurt. He's been cluster feeding every hour-ish at night after work.

DH, who previously has not been very supportive, has been getting better about BFing in general seeing how content DS has been with just breastmilk. 

Anyway, so now he's back to making comments that something bust have changed that he needs to be eating this much. I get questioned, are you sure he's eating enough? Why is he so hungry? Are you sure you're eating the right foods? It's so stressful, which doesn't help. Diaper count is great, at least 2 poops a day and lots of wet ones.

And since he's been eating so much at night, I'm not getting my evening pumping in so I've been grabbing an extra bag or so from the freezer each day. I hope it doesn't last too long I only have about a week extra in the freezer!

***Added
This isn't a post about my supply. I'm not worried about my supply. I know that his feedings will get back to normal. I mostly just wanted to vent about my DH just not understanding that what DS is doing is completley normal in breastfeeding. That just because he wants to eat more often doesn't mean the brestfeeding isn't working. He's pretty much thought that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed since the beginning and over the last month or so has finally become OK with the idea. Now with the probably growth spurt, he is questioning it once again.

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radellia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Curious why your bottle feeding? Are you pumping during that feed?

Just tell your DH, baby is getting ready to grow and that us how he tells your body to make more milk since he'll need a bit more when he's bigger.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Because I work, he gets a bottle at daycare. Yes, I pump during the day. And in the evenings I usually feed from the right breast and pump on the left. I also do the same in the morning, but I'm still able to get that pumping done.

Quoting Radellia:

Just tell your DH, baby is getting ready to grow and that us how he tells your body to make more milk since he'll need a bit more when he's bigger.

Radellia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Ok, I was wondering if it was due to work! Are you able to have more/longer pumping sessions at work! Maybe use a hands free pumping bra and a cover if you've got a desk job so you can work and pump at the same time? In the evenings, you could feed both and still pump after, you might not get much but it may help increase your supply.

Quoting smorgan865:

Because I work, he gets a bottle at daycare. Yes, I pump during the day. And in the evenings I usually feed from the right breast and pump on the left. I also do the same in the morning, but I'm still able to get that pumping done.

Quoting Radellia:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Theres an article on kellymom about clusterfeeding and growth spurts.  Have him rea it, this happens periodically so better to have him knowledgeable now than later

You CAN NOT give a bottle and not pump to replace that milk the same day, it will seriousy hurt supply!

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I'll have to check out that article and share with him.

I do pump during the day when he's getting a bottle. Just in the evenings when I usually get my last pumping sessions in I'm not able to get hardly anything from them because he's eating so frequently. So instead of my normal 12-15 oz a day I pump (the reason I have a buffer) I'm only getting 8 or 9. He eats 9-12oz a day (I'm gone a little more than 9 hours a day), but has been eating the full 12 oz the last few days this week and is "starving" mad and very eager to nurse when I get home.

Combined pump output for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings this week was 1oz. Still getting 4-5 oz in my morning pump and also 4-5 in my afternoon single or combined sessions (depends on my daily schedule).

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Theres an article on kellymom about clusterfeeding and growth spurts.  Have him rea it, this happens periodically so better to have him knowledgeable now than later

You CAN NOT give a bottle and not pump to replace that milk the same day, it will seriousy hurt supply!

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

My pumping schedule is pretty set and tight. My day is very unpredictable and fast paced.

Quoting Radellia:

Ok, I was wondering if it was due to work! Are you able to have more/longer pumping sessions at work! Maybe use a hands free pumping bra and a cover if you've got a desk job so you can work and pump at the same time? In the evenings, you could feed both and still pump after, you might not get much but it may help increase your supply.

Quoting smorgan865:

Quoting Radellia:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Are you pumping in the morning and evening even on off days? I would add in a midday while baby is eating pumping session if you could. You could also try pumping on your drive to work.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I do try, but have been a little lazy with the weekend pumping because we've been busy. I get the morning and evening, but during the day sometimes doesn't happen.

I'd pumping on to/from work would be great but I only have a 5-10 minute drive :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Are you pumping in the morning and evening even on off days? I would add in a midday while baby is eating pumping session if you could. You could also try pumping on your drive to work.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Five or ten minutes may get you the extra couple of ounces you need! I would try.

Quoting smorgan865:

I do try, but have been a little lazy with the weekend pumping because we've been busy. I get the morning and evening, but during the day sometimes doesn't happen.

I'd pumping on to/from work would be great but I only have a 5-10 minute drive :)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Radellia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Also, how many hours is baby at daycare? And how many ounces are they feeding?

I'm not 100% sure, so someone correct me if I'm not accurate on this, but I believe you should only be offering 1-1.25ounce per hour your gone. They may be feeding him too much if he's getting more than that. He may cluster feed more on you when your home also which will only help your supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)